Moss

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sundrop, Nov 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I have this beautiful moss (and lichen, too) growing on the trunk of my Black Locust. Anybody can tell me what kind of moss is it and why it is getting yellow? Is it normal?

my_place_moss_2016-11-18.jpg my_place_moss_2016-11-18_close-up.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Compare to Spagnum moss.
    Would normally expect it to all go yellow /brown when it is too dry....cannot help why it is brown in patches.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Thank you Silver surfer. Yes, Sphagnum looks closer then any other genus I could compare with on the Net. Does it grow on trees as well?

The coloration is rather unusual, couldn't see anything like that in the image search. It is unlikely that the yellowing has anything to do with drought though, we have been having something rather closer to a deluge here this year with 58 cm of rain since the middle of September, 50 cm since the beginning of October.

I am worrying how this prolonged saturation may affect my perennial plants that are not used to so much moisture. Everywhere on the lawn all kinds of mosses are rapidly taking over. All this is interesting although rather disquieting to observe.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016