Moses in a Boat

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by mvista888, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mvista888

mvista888 Member

Hi. I bought a single Moses in a Boat plant sometime in August. Now, the mother plant is the same size but has grown so many long shoots. It is a very healthy plant but I wonder why the shoots are like that. It's so different from pictures on the web where the new growths are more like rosettes. Can anyone let me know why? Also, if I want to propagate this plant, do I cut anywhere on the new shoot (for example, maybe 3 or 4 inches from the tip?) or do I have to cut it all the way from the base? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My surmise would be that the plant is reaching out to find what light it can. I would try intensifying the light source.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah it's stretching for light.
    This is one of the easiest plants to propagate just take a cutting about 10cm long. Remove leaves from base to expose it's stem have about 5cm showing.
    Place into a small pot (about 5") with regular potting mix, or straight into ground. Keep in a well lit warm place and keep mix moist.
    Within a couple of weeks roots will begin to form.
    These plants don't like frosts and will do better if you water directly to soil as water on the leaves can lead to marking them. Keep them in a well lit to part sun position and don't over water as they will rot...
    :}

4. mvista888

mvista888 Member

Hi! Thanks so much for both of your advice. The plant is near a window but I guess the house beside us blocks out most of the light. I'll try to move it to a brighter spot. I'll also try to get a cutting this weekend and will see how it goes. Thanks again!