Moringa Oleifera (where to obtain and survivability?)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by HopelessGardener, Nov 15, 2010.

1. HopelessGardener

HopelessGardener Member

I recently learned about this tree, but there don't seem to be any nurseries carrying it. There are places online that seem to sell them, but I'm a little apprehensive about getting it from those places since they mention moringa seeds, but not specifically oleifera. Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of the tree or seeds for growing? Also, can these trees survive in the bay area (they are tropical, but I've heard of people cultivating around here).

If this topic is in the wrong forum, I apologize :(

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. HopelessGardener

HopelessGardener Member

Thanks I'll try ordering from them. Southern Bay area temps from spring - fall range from 60-100, that should be hot enough for flowering right? It doesn't snow here, but it can get to mid 30s. Will it be able to survive that?

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Yes. It grows here. We had a few frosts last year. It might not thrive in a cold snap, but you really don't want this tree to thrive on residential property. People who grow it here will hack it almost to the ground each year to keep it manageable in size.

5. saltcedar

Florida is much different than California or Texas. It may well thrive in the Bay area
    however here in Texas it doesn't start to flower until it's 70 at night and near 90 in
    the daytime. If you have chilly nights and coolish soil it may retard blossoming.

6. maggisandiego

maggisandiego Member

Hi, there!! I am very impressed by the Moringa leaves and want to know reaping information for moringa tree as I am living in western Michigan so would like to know if I can harvest a moringa tree in my region.

7. saltcedar

Being tropical/subtropical in nature I don't think you'd have success
    in a cold temperate climate even in containers and certainly not in the ground.