More plants to ID. Please

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ksmith, May 9, 2007.

1. ksmith

ksmith Active Member

I know the 2nd. one is a iris, but would like to put a name to it. Thanks, Karen

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

They're both irises, actually, though different types - I may have some time to look the first one up later if no one else knows offhand. The yellow is a tall bearded iris of some sort; there are no doubt dozens of yellows that are similar enough to be interchangeable. That is a magnificent photo of the yellow iris, by the way; with wonderful detail if you enlarge it.

4. TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash Member

if i am correct they are both variations of japanese iris i believe. you can get info threw google lol i find google ery helpful but i am positive the purple and white one is a japanese iris, i had them in our apartment complex i lived in for over 7 years

5. TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash Member

6. ksmith

ksmith Active Member

Well, I looked up butterfly iris and mine does not have flat leaves, it's leaves are like a daffodils. As for the yellow one, I looked up japanese iris and they do not look like mine. Maybe if I took a better picture. I will try later. Thanks to you all for the help. Keep up the good work you all. Karen

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

No, the yellow one is definitely a bearded iris, you can see the beards in the photo. It's probably a Tall bearded, but might be shorter; not clear from the photo. If you do an internet search for "yellow bearded iris" or look through an iris book at the library you will probably find several yellow cultivars, most probably very similar. I doubt you'll be able to definitely put a cultivar name on it.

The first photo is confusing as again I can't tell the height from the photo, but it could be something that goes by Dutch Iris or bulbous iris or even Spuria iris, all of which would contain several exemplars.

There are probably several on-line iris nurseries in Canada or elsewhere that have photos, and scrolling through those, if Googling the description doesn't work, can help.

8. ksmith

ksmith Active Member

Well looks like you hit it right on. Here is a web page that I found while looking.
    www.nichollsgardens.com/tb_r.htm What a great page for iris. Again Thank you.
    And I would say that the other is a Dutch Iris. That helps a lot. Trying to keep records on old plants. Thanks. Karen in Maryland