More evidence of climate change

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Margot, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

When I first read this headline - Parksville City Council asked to set aside more money for dying cedars (Thuja plicata) - I hoped maybe there were plans to provide more water for these giants during the driest months. No.

Parksville City Council asked to set aside more money for dying cedars

(The comment "we’ve lost the squirrels in there", if true, would have nothing to do with the lack of cedars.)

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot, I found the article very interesting Margot, that the council want to plant more NEW trees and not necessarily Red cedar. It is important to realise that the climate is changing and always has tbh and maybe our thoughts of what was once native trees and plants may no longer be suitable to be what we expect to be native, if that makes sense.
    The point I'm trying to make is, we do now have to think about what we plant rather than say, we always planted and grew a particular tree etc etc, so going to continue , even if they don't survive.
    It is very hard to lose native trees, but if they cannot survive it's time for change !!