Monstera? Identification

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Laticauda, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Okay, I picked up this pretty little thing from the garden center. It's currently in a 6 inch pot, but it appears as though the whole top two inches of the pot and then some over the top of the pot are roots! It's crazy!

So, my question is, should I repot it in an 8 or 10 inch pot? I know you generally go up only one pot size, but I've seen some websites that say to go up two pot sizes for this type of fast grower. I wasn't sure, so I'm asking here!

Also, when I do repot it, should I try to cover the roots with soil? There are some that appear to be just cuttings that are only connected by two large arial roots that dig down past the other stems/petioles down through the roots and into the soil.

Also, if anyone can confirm what it may be, that'd be great. Its label says Philodendron, Monstera Philodendron. There was another one up there that looked very similar, but the roots weren't showing and it seemed fuller and had more "cut" leaves. That one was labeled Philodendron Split-Leaf. Anyway, thanks for any information you can give me!
    Raychel

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks like a maturer cutting from Philodendron scandens (or whatever it's called these days) - although I could be right off and it could also be a happy Pothos. I'd go up 2 pot sizes on that one, just because it is so very rootbound, and make sure it has a loose, well-draining medium to grow in. Oh, and get it something to climb - it already looks like it wants to!

Monstera and Philodendron are two different genera - Philos being native to my neck of the woods, and Monstera to Asia.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Your plant looks like the one I have which is Monstera deliciosa, although it's not as big as yours and not yet splitting. You got a nice one there! From what I understand, Monstera's and philodendron's (aroids) are related, but are not the same.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, it's a monstera and no, that's not in the philodendron family of aroids...it's in its own classification.

definitely go up at least two sizes, in fact, you could easily go right to a 12-inch or 14-inch and it won't be upset at all!! when steve sent me cuttings of the m. deliciosa (one piece barely rooted and the others with no roots) he said to put it all right into a 10 or 12 inch pot. what you have is already WELL rooted, so, i doubt you'll see a problem going up to that size right away.

just make sure the soil mix is VERY well draining. i use a mix of orchid bark, plain potting soil and perlite and i plant in containers with drainage holes so excess water has a place to go.

wow! you've got a fabulous plant there! i can't believe it's splitting and is still that small!!!

now, it's a monstera, yes. i don't think it's m. deliciosa though - the leaves look different from mine.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Could be M . deliciosa , but your plant is young and leaves will slightly change, keep us up to date as it grows for a 100% id....you could even repot and divide if you wanted too....

Ed

6. Bluewing

I received M. deliciosa from Steve's Atrium as well. He wanted to cut his back I think he said because it was getting a little wild. There were a few larger split leaves in the bunch, but the change in enviorment from his bright place to my lower light living room caused the larger ones to yellow (had a feeling it would) so I cut them off leaving the smaller ones. They are doing well and growing bigger all the time. Just waiting for them to split:) Tney will eventually be merged with 4' pot of M . deliciosa I found at of all places, Big Lots:)

7. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I am quite sure that your plant is a young specimen of Monstera deliciosa

8. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I would agree with Sigtris since this plant appears show the characteristics of I]Monstera delicosa[/I]. There are 33 known species in the genus Monstera although there are many more names floating around that have proven to be one of synonyms of the 33 known species. Within the species Monstera delicious there are two subspecies and both possess smaller leaf blades than the one most of us grow. I've seen one with blades that rarely get over 30cm (1 foot) in length. All are found naturally along stream banks in Mexico, Central America and the northwestern countries of South America.

You should certainly consider giving the plant a larger pot but expect it to grow. If you give it a sturdy totem it will also climb. I've personally seen the species growing high into the tree canopy in South Florida. Roots growing from the nodes along the stem are quite normal and one of my specimens has roots hanging well over 1 meter (3 feet) from the stems that have attached themselves to the host tree.

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Glad to see you have returned Steve : )

Ed

10. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Thanks Ed!

11. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i'll second that!!! /waves to steve

VERY glad to see you here again!!

12. Bluewing

Welcome back Steve! I hope we'll be seeing you around more!