monkey

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mreader, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mreader

mreader Member

could someone help me with my new purchase?
    today i've aquired a 5yr old monkey puzzle tree, where is the best place in the garden to plant it? how deep should it go? what would be the best care for it as the winter slowly approaches? would appreciate any advice or help

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome mreader. They do tend to get very large. As they grow the bottom branches naturally fall off. Have you got a nice big garden? If so plant it well away from your house ( and any neighbouring properties.)They look superb planted on a cliff top!
    Plant it so that the soil level is at exactly the same level as in the pot.Water well and leave.
    Ron B has given some very good advice recently on planting.See.....

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=225547#post225547

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...m=1&q=monkey+puzzle+tree&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20

3. mreader

mreader Member

thank you so much for your advice, hopefully then i have a perfect garden as it rises up a fairly step hill, i was planning on planting it three quarters of the way up, this is maybe 60feet away from the house, lets hope that will be enough, thanks again.

4. Silver surfer

5. Nath

Nath Active Member

Mreader,

if you like the sun make sure that you don't plant it where it is going to block all of your sunlight as it get bigger. They are very fast growing and will have a large spread. be careful its not going to be growing somewhere that will be detrimental to other bushes or flowers in your garden that need lots of sunlight. One other consideration is that they drink lots of water so be careful which end of the slope you grow it on.

Nath

6. Silver surfer

Pembroke gets LOTS of rain. I don't think that will be a problem!

7. Silver surfer

For example!!!!!

Attached Files:

8. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

These trees have such a nice shape! I wish we could grow them here.

9. dirty sixisixsix

dirty sixisixsix Member

Well I know nothing about growing anything, but my twins have seemed to have grown nicely over the last 10-12 years. I ended up building up the soil when they were planted so there was a bit of a mound when I planted them & there still is now. The native soil has lots of clay, and I have added sand over the years and built it up even more. We get lots of rain all year, and not too much cold for long over the winter. They seem to love it. The only other thing I've done is prune off the low hanging branches to keep the draggers from growing into the soil. Whatever I have or have not done.....seems to be working well for these two.

Attached Files:

10. greenvy

greenvy Member

a big thank you to all who have responded to my monkey tree plight. Thankfully, I did plant it in an open sunny spot away from the house but unfortunately not close enough to a water source so I think I will have to water it regularly. I will cut away the turf and from the base of the little tree and top with natural mulch as advised. Thanks again.

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You'll only need to water it for the first year or so until it is established. Once established, it won't need extra water at all.

12. greenvy

greenvy Member

Thank you so much, I have been waiting for someone to answer the watering required.

13. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

What amazing trees, I've always wanted one. Good luck greenvy!

I just did a quick Google and found this section on Wiki interesting...