monkey tree

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Unregistered, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Hi , need some info if possible. We are hoping to buy a property and there is a very very large monkey tree in the front garden. We love the tree but are worried if the roots, and further growth will effect the property. This tree has a preservation order on it which stops it being pruned etc. Does anyone know how far the roots go on these trees. Its about 20 year old towers over the house at least 20 ft and is as wide approx 20ft across. Its beautiful and a tree surgeon has said it should live about another 50 years. Its proximatety to the property is about 15ft from the front. have these trees been known to cause any damage before. I think it is a Araucaria but am not sure. All I know is its very large now and will grow taller. Thanks if you can reply quickly. Alex

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice!

You should be OK, they don't have any reputation for causing damage to foundations. Their large roots tend to stick close to the surface where they won't do any damage to the house (root damage to buildings happens when deep roots get underneath the foundations). The worst you will find is that paving slabs or concrete driveways may get uneven or cracked.

They are also very windfirm - I can't recollect ever having seen one blown down.

3. I recently purchaced a house with 2 mature (80 year old?) monkey puzzle trees about 10 feet from the house. The roots had caused some heaving in a nearby concrete slab, but no foundation damage. I also had a sewer scope done, and discovered that the sewer line from the house, constructed of clay tile, which ran by the trees, had root growth inside it, probably from the trees. This is not a problem unique to monkey puzzle trees, but it worth being aware of. Fortunately I discovered it before purchasing the house, and had the previous owner replace the sewer line.

Also, I have discovered that it is difficult to grow other plants beneath the drip line of the trees. In spite of these problems, though, I love the trees.