monkey tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by anca batinas, Oct 4, 2003.

1. anca batinas

anca batinas Member

I am visiting Nedherlands and a very nice tree is growing here. They call it monkey-tree and it comes from Africa. It's a conoferous with scale shape leaves, not like Araucaria sp. wich I know from our botanical garden.
    I'd like to buy one and take it with me in Romania, where I live, but I don't know if it will survive, there are -40 Celsius degrees in winter.
    Please give me some advice and send me a picure if it's posible.
    Thank you very much.
    Anca Batinas, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
    ancabatinas@yahoo.com

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

I'm not able to find anything commonly named "monkey tree" that is grown anywhere which is not an Araucaria. I considered that it might be another Araucaria species with the same common name (there are roughly 40), but Araucaria is not found natively in Africa.

Without a Dutch common name or the scientific name, I think this one is almost impossible to figure out.

My general feeling is that it probably wouldn't grow in Romania, in any case. Temperatures in Romania are similar to central North America, and as far as I know, no trees that are frequented by monkeys can be cultivated and grown there!