Monkey Tree Concern

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by JennL, Apr 14, 2011.

1. JennL

JennL Member

I have a client that has a well established Monkey tree that has just in the past year started to not look too great. The lower branches all around have quite quickly turned brown and I was advised by a nursery to remove these. The tree has never been moved, although a few years ago the garden bed it's in was created, which included irrigation. Not sure if this is a contributing factor. Need to find out if the loss of these lower branches will continue up the tree to it's ultimate death. The tree was one reason the client bought the house so it is a little imperative that we try and save it if at all possible. I know Monkey trees don't like to be disturbed and are susceptable to root rot, but I am unsure if the loss of the branches are a serious issue or natural occurrance. Please advise. Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Get on-site opinions from local tree experts.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Loss of lower branches is normal (look at pics of the species in the wild), but if upper crown branches start dying, then it's in trouble.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hopefully you are not referring to a raised bed, one of those would not be good.

5. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I understand that monkey puzzle trees prefer drier conditions over moist. Your post mentioned irrigation - perhaps the tree receives excessive water.