Monkey Puzzle Tree seedlings (Help)

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Ramon Mendoza, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ramon Mendoza

Ramon Mendoza New Member

Greetings,

Thank you for accepting me into your forum. I have read many of the discussions regarding Monkey Puzzle Trees and have found the expertise and discussions very helpful. We have started growing these beautiful trees from seed as we have 1 mature female and 1 male tree on are Cougar WA property. The first seed crop from 2015 produced 1800 trees which were first grown in 5" deep tube trays and later the majority of the crop was transplanted to 4"x 10" tree bands. The 4" x 10" tree bands are resting in plastic trays that allow water to drain through. The pots and trays are setting on a rock gravel floor. The soil used in basic potting soil with 20% perlite added. Over time the trees have grown well but now exhibiting yellowing. We have also found most the roots exiting the tree pots. The trees are housed in a non-heated greenhouse which the sides are rolled up during the summer. If temperatures get hot we place 50% shade cloth on top to keep the inside temperatures down. We have experimented with different types of fertilizers, none of which helped eliminate the yellowing. We are in desperate need for advice in what corrective actions we should take to restore the brilliant green foliage and keep roots from exiting the tree pots.

Please note that we have witnesses trees growing in 1 gallon pots with drain holes on the side rather then the bottom that seem to not exhibit the same type of yellowing. All trees in the greenhouse receive the same watering and we have lost only 2-3 trees over time. I don't believe the problem is over watering as we should see all trees exhibit the same condition if this was the case. The problem is primary isolated to the 4" x 10" bands trees.

The following corrective actions we are considering.

1. Remove the tree from the 4" x 10" tree band and place weed blocker cloth on the bottom of the pot that allows good drainage, but stops the roots from exiting the bottom, then re-pot back into the same pot with new soil.
    2. Do not remove the tree from the tree band but trim the roots that extend out the bottom and place weed cloth below the pots to keep the roots from exiting the pot.
    2. Change the pot design to 1 Gallon pots from 4" x 10" Tree Band pots that have drainage holes on the side and not the bottom which seem to work better in keeping the roots from exiting the pot.
    3, Plant in the ground but concerned with damaging the roots when later pulling them out when sold.
    4. Fertilizer ???

Thank you for any advice you can offer us in correcting the foliage coloring and addressing the roots exiting the pot.

Sincerely,
    Ramon Mendoza

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Ramon Mendoza

Ramon Mendoza New Member

Thank you Michael

Sincerely,
    Ramon Mendoza

4. Ramon Mendoza

Ramon Mendoza New Member

Greetings,

I am sure the Air-Pot will help develop healthy roots but the price is far to high.

What doesn’t make sense to me is how some trees in what you would consider very inferior pot allowed to become root bound but the trees appear healthy and very green. So the discovery to determine why trees in the 4” x 10” tree band pots are showing sign of yellowing is still ongoing. See photos of root bound trees but nice looking foliage.

Sincerely,
    Ramon Mendoza

Attached Files: