Monkey Puzzle Pruning

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Eric La Fountaine, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

A friend of mine has a monkey puzzle tree in her front garden. She planted it over 27 years ago. The thing is the tree is very tall and we are trying to find out the best way to trim in height without killing the tree. We are not sure if it is a female or a male tree but the problem is the height. We just need to know the best way of keeping control. I forgot to tell you we live in Bedford England and my friend is the only one to have a monkey tree in her front garden in this area. She really needs help as the tree has now reached the over head telephone wires. Please can you help ?

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

There is no practical way to reduce the height of the monkey puzzle tree without completely destroying it.

3. Info on Monkeytree

hello everyone,

We live in the northern part of Italy (near Como) and have a monkey puzzle tree probably about 90 years old having a circumference of 2.4 Meters (dimeter of roughly 0.76 meters and estimated height of 16 meters).
    We recently have had several discussions with our neighbor who wants us to cut the tree because he says it is too high.
    We have read several articles and have seen that there is no way to safely reduce the height of the tree without killing it. Can anyone confirm this and tell me where I can find some litterature confirming this theory?
    I would also like to know where I can get some info on the rooting process of the tree (how do the roots branch out and what kind of roots can I expect from my tree).
    Thanks in advance
    GM
    gaboo@tin.it