Money Tree - Pachira Aquatica - growing like wild....help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jennyanne, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jennyanne

jennyanne Member

Hi

I have a Pachira that is a wonderful tree but its starting to grow a little out of control, when we brought it about a year ago the total height of the tree was about 4ft, its now 6.5ft a this is all just new foliage. Can someone please help and let me know how i can prune it without damaging or killings of the main stems.
    We love our tree and like it very much wild, but its getting a little out of control now and need to give it a few house rules.
    Below is a picture to make it easier. Any help and advise would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

my goodness!!! what a beautiful specimen!!! it definitely loves how you're caring for it!! 7 feet is the usual height for pachira aquatica

you can easily trim it back some - it will bush outwards as result. the stems that you prune off can be rooted in soil - so you'll end up with multiple plants. you can either leave them single or wind them around together like your large plant is done.

to root successfully, the stem cutting needs to have at least two nodes on it. the nodes are the little bumps that the leaves grow from. i'd dip the cuttings in some rooting hormone powder before planting them. let sit in the dry soil for a week/10 days and then water well. then get on a regular watering schedule - it'll be a little different than the original plant as you'll be dealing with something forming roots and it'll likely be in a smaller container as well.

i've attached your pic that i modified - marked to show where to cut. hope that's helpful!

Attached Files:

3. jennyanne

jennyanne Member

Hi Joclyn
    Thanks for your reply that is certainly very helpful, and i think i will definately have a go at rooting the cuttings.
    I don't know what it loves about me or what we do for it, as it has to be the only plant i have managed to keep alive.
    I think the fact that it stays indoors, and only ever gets the bright morning sun, must be what it likes, as it is in an east facing window.

I will certainly let you know how the rooting goes when i get five mins to sort it out.

Thanks again or all your help.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you're more than welcome!!

i've heard they don't like too much light and then i heard they can do well in bright light. i've had two (much smaller than yours) and neither did well. the second one i put in brighter light (i got it after i'd heard about the brighter light being okay) still, the best i could do was south-facing and i think it was just too much light and that one held on for a while and then succumbed.

sounds like the morning sun only is just what it needs!! also, being a bit root-bound seems to be the way to go, too!

good luck with the cuttings!! i'm sure they'll take just fine!

5. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi jennyanne,

I was just curious how your plant is doing? Did the cuttings ever take root? I'm trying to root some cuttings of my own in water. I haven't seen any roots yet but it has only been 2 days :)

Thanks! Roanna