Misnomer - NOT Acer palmatum 'Crippsii'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by HMBrown, Jul 17, 2013.

1. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

My thread "Acer palmatum 'Crippsii' " explains that for a decade or two a plant has been sold under that name which is not a linearilobum hence cannot be A. palmatum 'Crippsii' whose provenance is well known.

I attach pictures of such an imposter, a 2005 plant at SHHG. In the leaf picture there are two types - the type with curled edges, rather in the right background, is actually the more typical.

I look forward to suggestions as to what the misnamed plant(s) may be. The curled edges seem to be a common feature of (incorrect) literature and on-line. The third picture was taken 2 October 2012 - in July 2013 the curled leaves (perhaps 95% of all the leaves) were < 40mm long x 30mm wide, divided to within 5mm of the base, with lobes < 5mm wide.

List of misnomer propagators

* http://www.duncananddavies.co.nz/Main.asp?ID=5208&page=1&Genus
    * Maples for Gardens: A Colour Encyclopedia C.J.Van Gelderen , D.M.Van Gelderen (I believe it illustrates an imposter at Savill Gardens)
    * http://www.esveld.nl/engels.php also illustrates Savill Gardens imposter. But go to the new site today (21JUL13) and search for 'Acer palmatum 'Crippsii' ' and you get a page which does not show 'Crippsii' but does show 'Okushimo'; however I respectfully suggest they are still wrong since, for example, the height is small (1.5m ?) whereas 'Okushimo' can be several times that?

Attached Files:

• 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      656.3 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      330 KB
      Views:
    • 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      261.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It looks pretty much like 'Okushimo' aka 'Crispa' to me.

There was a previous thread from 2008 where the imposter cultivar of 'Crippsii' was discussed. I believe the people in that discussion had obtained their fake 'Crippsii' plants from Duncan and Davies of New Zealand. The questions raised by the thread were never really answered because no-one had access to pictures of what the original form of 'Crippsii' should be like. Link to 2008 thread

3. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

maf, I don't have the skills to comment on cultivars. I can confirm from archive cards that SHHG were in touch with Duncan and Davies, NZ (now proudly owned by someone else) but do not know for this plant specifically. The 2005 SHHG plants were obtained from Hillier Nurseries, but probably not grown by them, the source being unknown. I need to re-check the NZ website, but my memory tells me that last year it was 'curled leaves' not linearilobum.

Of course, we do not yet know that all misnamed plants were the same cultivar.

I have been told that if the imposter is not a known cultivar we (I guess Janine Richter) have the right to name it!

4. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

Having said that... SHHG 2005 does not seem to be 'Okushimo' as described in Vertrees/Gregory Japanese Maples Third Edition. The curl is not so pronounced as to almost form a tapering tube; the shape/form, as you can see in the picture above, is not unusually stiffly upright; it does not seem so vigorous; fall colour (2012) was very different, rather ordinary.

Nor quite like Vertrees' Kurui Jishi. I have to hand a 5 lobe leaf, but will have to go check for 7 lobes. Petioles are 30mm. Fall colour is not yellow. Growth does seem similar, although I think it is already at 2m.

REF: Book for Maples, Masayoshi Yano, 2003. SHHG 2005 did not have (2012) 'Okushimo' autumn leaves of deep red with orange edges; spring foliage 2013 was not brown, later green, but was green throughout. SHHG 2005 does not have 'Kurui jishi' rolling or bending branches; spring leaf (2013) was not darkish brown, changing to deep green in summer, but green throughout; autumn foliage (2012) was not orange.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  5. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

RE: Japanese Maples, Third Edition, JD Vertrees/Peter Gregory, 2001.

This important book mentions A. palmatum 'Crippsii' but only in Appendix C, Cultivars Not Yet Assessed. The disclaimer at the beginning of Appendix C says '...yet to be assessed for stability and worthiness.' In the case of 'Crippsii' It should have added not assessed for identification, since it goes along with the perceived wisdom of 2001 'with rolled up margins' and compares with 'Okushimo' and 'Kurui jishi' rather than the linearilobum provenance of 'Crippsii'.

6. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

SHHG 2005 taken 27JUL13. Leaves are 40 - 50mm long. 7 lobes are common. Only one leaf had reverted this year.

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      374.3 KB
      Views:
  7. HMBrown

HMBrown Active Member

Stepping Stones Maples, NZ now seem to own Duncan and Davies; their current website says plants are only available in NZ; the link is to Acer palmatum 'Crippsii' and seems akin to the SHHG imposter:

http://www.duncananddavies.co.nz/Images/Product/CRAT.jpg

The link (above, today) seems to give just a thumbnail - but if you go to the home page (below) and select 'Japanese Maples Range' there is a set of thumbnails one of which is 'Crippsii' and if you put the cursor over that there is a good pop-up (that ends 'synonym 'Okushimo' ').

http://www.duncananddavies.co.nz/start.asp

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013