Miracle fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Michaelangelica, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Member

Miracle fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) is a bugger to grow.
    I know it needs a soil pH of 4-5. that's hard enough to supply. Does it want good drainage -as well -with that?
    I managed to get one though the winter this year but it looks half dead.
    Any tips, clues, web resources?
    Where does it grow naturally?
    tar

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Member

Thanks thats interesting.
    It seems others have similar proplems with this very particular plant

I noticed the Japanese have just made a transgenic lettuce with the same properties as the miracle fruit, fruit!

4. timbuktu

timbuktu Member

I have 2 Miracle fruit trees in fairly large pots and they are doing extremely well - they flower throughout the year and I lose many of the red fruits to birds! The trees do not appear to be fussy over the type of soil (pH and medium). I manure them regularly and have no trouble with insect pests.
    When I got them 2 yrs ago they were about 5 inches tall - now they stand under 6 ft! I suppose if I plonk them in the ground they would turn into giants.
    Your problem could be the climatic conditions - I live in the lowlands of Malaysia, which would make Synsepatum dulcificum very much at home as they originate from Ghana (I think!)

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Member

Yes, I live in a sub tropical area (north of Sydney Australia).
    I may be at its limits- climate wise, but you would think it would try harder :)
    I put the large tree in a small hot house over winter and am keeping it as humid as possible- fairly humid here during warm months anyway.

Interesting about the pH. Are your trees well drained?

6. timbuktu

timbuktu Member

Very well drained. I placed crocks at the bottom of the pots before dumping in the growing medium and now that the trees have established themselves, I water them everyday (twice a day during the "hot" season). My trees get full sun (from morning to late afternoon) and I have never pampered them.