Mint-eating beetle

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Backyard Gardener, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Backyard Gardener

Backyard Gardener Member

Hi, I am hoping someone can identify this beetle/bug that has been eating my mint, shasta daisy, and purple cornflower leaves. I have spent many hours on the internet searching for an answer, but have not been able to find an exact match. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please see the attached photo of the said bug on a sample eaten mint leaf. Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Striped Cucumber Beetle
    http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Beetle

Common at this time of year, but usually doesn't do much damage, since they are few in number. Apparently they transmit downy mildew fungus in some cases, but they may not be the prime vector since wind can also transmit this fungus.

4. Backyard Gardener

Backyard Gardener Member

I thought it might be the Striped Cucumber Beetle –– but mine does not look exactly like the photo you sent the link to (I attached another pic as a reference) –– the beetle in my garden has stripes and dots.

Also, there are many of them – I would guess a couple dozen, at least, on each plant. They has destroyed almost all the leaves on the mint (which was a huge, mature plant), and eaten all the top leaves of the daisies and purple coneflower.

Attached Files:

5. Backyard Gardener

Backyard Gardener Member