Miniture rose problem

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Youngneg, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Youngneg

Youngneg Member

I planted several different colors this spring and 2 plants are looseing there leaves...there turning yellow with it seems to be darkish circles on them.I don`t see and critters and i feed them once a month with all purpuse fet 20-20-20.Thanks for your time

2. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Dark circles? You mean spotted leaves, right? That sounds like some sort of fungal infection or bacterial infection that causes leaf spots. Try to spray with a fungicide. See if that helps...try to avoid too much wetness...

If without the dark circles I would guess overwatering or regular shedding of the leaves but with the circles it sounds quite suspicious as an infection.

Good luck!

3. Youngneg

Youngneg Member

Thanks Greenleaf
    They are dark spots on top of the leaves....they turn yellow and fall off. I disgaurded the fallen ones. I used a fungal and bacterial spay on them.....crossing my fingers....Thanks for the help

4. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

You're welcome. Hope the spots go away. Here's a link Rose Leaf Spot if you want to know more about leaf spots. Good luck!

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

The appearance of black spots on the leaves, which then go on to turn yellow and fall off is descriptive of black spot, a common fungal disease of roses. It is caused by a fungus which just loves the moisture ladden and wet Pacific North West. Once infected, there isn't anything that is available on the market in Canada that will "cure" it. The key is prevention. Grow roses that are known to be resistant to black spot. There are lists of such roses in many rose growing related websites, including the web site for the American Rose Society with the link given by GreenLeaf. Try not to use overhead watering if you can avoid it - don't splash any more water on the leaves than the rain is already doing. Each of those black spots will release hundreds of thousands of spores, ready to be spread by air current and infect the next rose leaf when the right condition of wetness, damp and warm temperatures arise. So, pay attention to "sanitation" - i.e. remove all rose prunings and leaves and dispose off in the garbage cane (not the compost heap). The more "involved" rose growers will go to the extent of spraying fungicides as a preventative measure. I say "involved" because you will need to spray once every two weeks, starting from early spring when the first leaves unfurl, till whenever you are ready to give up and let go. Some of us are not prepared to spend that extra efforts or use chemicals. But some of us do prefer the cleaner look of less infected plants. To serious rose growers who enter their roses into rose shows, a preventative spray program is essential to success.