Meyer Lemon Yellow & Brown Spots

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lawreneb, Jan 3, 2008.

1. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The pot does look large for the size of the tree--that increases the chances of damage from overwatering-- the major cause of death for container citrus trees. I think root damage from overwatering is probably the cause of your problems---reading back over the thread, you said you had a saucer under the pot--that can really cause some problems fast if the tree sits in water for a day or two--and those problems can take a long time to complete their development and cause the leaves to drop.

If your soil has too much peat moss it will retain water and exclude air that the citrus roots must have, if so I would recommend repotting in a coarse media like 4 parts pine bark niggets to 1 part potting soil or peat moss. If you do this check the roots for any root rot and remove them (brown and soft roots). If you repot, I would reduce the container size.

Skeet

2. lawreneb

lawreneb Member

Hi skeeterbug,

I think I will repot it, a lot of people have told me to do that.... It is a young plant. However, do you think that will put hardship on it since it is already struggling? Also, I haven't ever let it sit in water. After I do a deep watering (which I have only done 2 times and I have had it since August) I wait for the water to fill up in the saucer and then I dump the water... I think there was only one time it sat in extra water for an extended period of time and that was a while ago. I think it sat in that water for maybe 1 day. I haven't done it since. Also, I rarely water the thing. I mist the leaves every morning but only water it like once every 2 weeks. Is that still too much? why is this plant so finnicky? My parents had one in North Carolina and have had great success. Its so unfair! haha. :)

Thanks for your help!!

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Repotting does not need to be stressful--rarely if ever have I seen any adverse response with my citrus on repotting. If you are careful and do not damage any roots they will appreciate the air. I don't think the plant is finiky--it is just extremely unappreciative of extra water. Watering on a schedule is a recipe for disaster with citrus-- always use your finger to check the soil and do not water if you can feel any moisture in the top 2-3 inches of soil-- there is much more water in the bottom if there is any in the top. When you use a pot that is too large that water at the bottom just sits there and excludes air which citrus roots must have.

Skeet