British Columbia: Meyer Lemon turning yellow and rust on Heuchera

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Maiolicagirl, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Maiolicagirl

Maiolicagirl Member

My potted Meyer Lemon is outside in my courtyard. To-day when the rain stopped I went to check the plants and found that all of the leaves on the Meyer Lemon tree are yellow and curled. There is scale on the leaves - but I wouldn't say it is a huge infestation. Would the plant turn yellow just from the scale or could there be a defficiency of some sort? I thought at first that it was waterlogged but the soil is draining OK and it is just damp.
    I'm going to treat the scale with rubbing alcohol for now and buy some hort oil.

Some of my new heucheras have rust on them and the plants look sad. The grower says to take the infected leaves off and once it warms up the rust will disappear. I am concerned that the plants are already weakened and that the rust will return again given the right conditions. I would like to ask for my money back.

2. sfoodie

sfoodie Member

About the potted lemon tree, I have 3 potted lemon trees and I have battled brown scale for years. Now I don't know the long term effects of brown scale infestation on the lemon tree but I do know that when I bring the trees in for the winter the scale drops a sticky mess on the floor. Ugh. I have tried using the rubbing alcohol soaked qtip technique to get rid of scale but that was only partially successful. What I did last summer worked. I put my garden hose nozzle on the smallest strongest stream of water and just hosed the scale off!! The lemon trees are outside again and I see some evidence of scale so I'm going to hose them off again. I hope this helps.

3. lynnlynn

lynnlynn Member

re rust on heuchera
    I was in the exact same situation - the person at the nursery pulled off the rusty leaves and assured me there would be no problem. Now, 2 years later, I have had to destroy that heuchera and several other that caught it, even the following year. Rust overwinters in the soil, so once you have it . . . .