Appreciation: Meet the $50 Strawberries That NYC’s High-End Chefs Are Fawning Over

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I kept going back and forth between believing this and thinking it was satire, particularly when I got to the bit about the Japanese Alps. I suppose it is true, and I was also interested to read about the 'Tristar' variety at the may soon be no longer for this world link.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Apparently there is such a thing as Japanese Alps: Japanese Alps - Wikipedia.

I wonder if the Tristar variety is available to home growers who are less concerned about the economics of their cultivation.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've been growing the Tristar variety for many years, including this year. It seems to be propagated by local growers; so, perhaps it will continue to be available here. I have to agree that it is a very tasty variety, far superior to the California varieties that I have. However, it is more susceptible to disease and tends to overproduce small fruit; but I will continue to grow it as long as I can get plants.