medium height mixed hedge plants?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Christine, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Christine

Christine Member

Hello,

I would like to plant a mixed hedge for the purpose of blocking the view of the road from my house ... I'd like the hedge to be around 6 or 7 feet tall eventually.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some things you should know when making recommendations ... we have deer, deer, and more deer (and rabbits too) ... there is a micro-jet sprinkler system (I read that ceanothus HATES being watered by anything other than nature, is that true?) ... the site is the top of a south-facing shallow bank ... there is wind and driving rain in the winter and blazing sun all summer.

I am tossing around the idea of including a couple of Northline Saskatoon berry bushes in the hedge. They grow taller than my 6 or 7 foot limit ... does anyone know how well they respond to pruning? Lilacs too ... can they be pruned or will pruning to keep them a certain height prevent them from flowering?

Finally, does anyone tell me the location of any interesting mixed hedges in the Vancouver area or on the Saanich peninusula over here on Vancouver Island? I'm not above pilfering ideas someone else's brilliant and beautifully designed hedges!!!

Thanks,

Christine

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Same shrubs already in the neighborhood would be good because of the deer, they seem to go for novelty. However, when starving in winter they may spoil just about anything: you can't count on your plantings being left alone unless they are fenced.

Blueblossoms usually sold in nurseries are irrigation-adapted garden selections. And if most of your planting is made up of drought-tolerant choices such as these you can cut off the irrigation to this section later, after the establishment phase.

See Plant Selection Guide in Sunset Western Garden Book for other candidates.