May 31 highlights in the garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Jun 1, 2012.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The hit of the day for me was subtle colouring of the Magnolia acuminata, way down at the end of the north garden.
    20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240483.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240487.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240485.jpg
    20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240496.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240498.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaAcuminata_Cutler_P1240501.jpg

Speaking of magnolias, I'd been wondering whether I was looking at M. sieboldii or M. wilsonii in Stanley Park, where I know there are both, and today we found them conveniently planted next to each other in the Asian Garden, near Lower Asian Way and Soulie. This one is the sieboldii. [Edited: I've added Nadia's label photos]
    20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaSieboldii_Cutler_P1240366.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaSieboldii_Cutler_P1240368.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaSieboldii_NadiaWhiteRock_124.JPG

and this is the wilsonii. Nadia noticed the more slender leaves right away. Also, the Wilson is at the end of blooming, while the Oyama still has a lot of buds.
    20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaWilsonii_Cutler_P1240370.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaWilsonii_Cutler_P1240372.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaWilsonii_Cutler_P1240375.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_MagnoliaWilsonii_NadiaWhiteRock_123.JPG

This is timely - this Syringa zweginzowii 'Superba' is just about to open. It seems to be very special. It's the one with the darker flowers. The lighter flowered one is S. yunnanensis.
    20120531_UBCBG_SyringaZweginzowiiSuperba_Cutler_P1240326.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_SyringaZweginzowiiSuperba_Cutler_P1240341.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_SyringaZweginzowiiSuperba_Cutler_P1240332.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_SyringaZweginzowiiSuperba_Cutler_P1240333.jpg

The Cornus kousa outside the Garden Pavilion is looking spectacular now. I really like the thin red margins on the bracts.
    20120531_UBCBG_CornusKousa_Cutler_P1240502.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_CornusKousa_Cutler_P1240506.jpg 20120531_UBCBG_CornusKousa_Cutler_P1240503.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wonder if meaning acuminata as tapering gradually to a point in Latin refers to petals of flowers or to leaves???

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  3. Nadia White Rock

May 31 not only highlights in the garden

I would like to add some garden's photo. It would be not highlights but what caught my attention at this recent visit.

Xanthoceras sorbifolium, just beautiful
    309.jpg 019.jpg

Two special maples what we don't see everyday and everywhere.So different flowers.
    First one probably has the smallest samaras, second Acer conspicuum Silver Vein. Conspicuum means 'becomes visible, attracts attention', what is true
    138.jpg Acer conspicuum Silver Vein 7.jpg

Cornus controversa(Giant dogwood) and Cornus alternifolia(green osier).
    Controversa means 'subjected to dispute, controversial, disputed, questionable', this plant is native to East Asia.
    Alternifolia means 'alternating leaves', this dogwood is native to Eastern U.S. and southeastern Canada
    Cornus Controversa5.jpg Cornus alternifolia6.jpg

Cascara, Rhamnus purshiana. I was thinking that trees like that are cascara but never was sure
    Rhamnus purshiana-cascara buckthorn5.jpg

Dwarf birch. Betula pumila var. glandulifera. Pumila means dwarf. At first glance it is hard to believe that this tree is a birch, now I can see it looks like birch.
    Betula pumila var. glandulifera7.jpg

Last one I think is from Styracaceae family, I couldn't find a tag
    068.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. wcutler

Re: May 31 not only highlights in the garden

I thought that one was Halesia.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not with that flower and leaf shape.

6. Nadia White Rock

This is Halesia tetraptera, Carolina Silverbell.
    Halesia tetraptera -Carolina Silverbell.jpg
    in the north(across the road) garden
    Without label I think something evergreen?

7. wcutler

Douglas Justice pointed out to us the young fruits on the Xanthoceras, which will grow to about 6cm in diameter. The shell will split into three parts to reveal the seeds.

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

What did he think "I couldn't find a tag" was?

9. wcutler

Maybe too many conversations in this thread? The "no tag" is the last of Nadia's photos in her first posting, that I mistook for Halesia, still no ID. Then I added a photo to complement Nadia's Xanthoceras.

10. Nadia White Rock

What about Rehderodendron macrocarpum, can it be? I found a picture of label of probably this plant

11. wcutler

The flowers look like what I see in google images for that. I don't know about the leaves, though. I would never be able to distinguish the flowers from what's shown in your Halesia photo.

Here is a Photo of the Day posting of Rehderodendron macrocarpum.
    That article links to its entry in the Photographs forum. Is the accession number the same as what's on your label?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  12. Ron B

The flowers are different also. At the Seattle arboretum the fallen, woody fruits may still be present on the ground beneath the tree some time later.

13. wcutler

Two weeks ago we checked the Xanthoceras fruits, but two days ago, we were so disappointed to find none!

14. wcutler

I thought the leaves of Nadia's photo, last one in posting #3, looked different from the ones in this What tree? Alternate leaves, fruits pecan size and shape thread, but I guess it could just be something about the photo and the rain. If you don't think Nadia's flowers match R. macrocarpum, do you think the fruits in my posting are a match to Nadia's flower photo?

15. Ron B

Are you saying that the flowering tree here is the same specimen as the fruiting tree on the other thread?

16. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

As an aside, Xanthoceras nuts are edible and delicious...the leaves and shoots are also edible.

I'm growing a bunch of seedlings, with varying degrees of success, none as good as the one in the pic. What conditions is the UBC specimen growing under? It's clearly a happy tree.

17. Ron B

Said to be a continental climate species, like a hot spot in maritime climates. I've had one for years, in a south exposure that is still dinky.

18. wcutler

Wait a minute, I asked the question first!

I understood you to say you didn't think the flowering tree here was the same as Rehderodendron macrocarpum, which is in the POTD. So I wondered if the flowering tree here was the same Rehderodendron sp. tree with the fruits in the other thread. I'm not sure Nadia remembers where the flowering one was.

I think the fruiting specimen looks a lot like the one in the Photos link from the POTD posting, but there seems to be general agreement that that the fruiting one is not R. macrocarpum.

19. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The BPotD specimen with fruit is from the plant outside my office window, near the entrance.