maple with dead branches

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Unregistered, May 11, 2004.

1. I bought a weeping maple last summer and it looked healthy. This spring however none of the branches on the south side have leafed out and some appear to be dead. What should I be looking for and what can I do to help it.

2. clive edwards

clive edwards Member Maple Society

Hello
    I have noticed the same thing with a few of my maples over the time I have had them and think it is down to watering .We all occasionally miss watering during the summer and the tree will shut down limbs to conserve water. I have learnt the best thing to do is prune any dead branches in the spring and you will find that new growth takes place quite quickly. I have no scientific knowledge but am only speaking from experience. On a personal note I think we worry too much about a strong plant which given minimal attention will thrive.

3. I've noticed that a couple of the maples I planted last year have a few dead branches (more twigs, really), even in a few cases branches that initially leafed out early in the spring. The trees seem otherwise to be completely healthy, but I am puzzled. Too much water? Too little water? Normal ups and downs of an otherwise fine plant?
    Thank you for any advice!