Maple Tree Trunk Splitting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by colour, Jul 16, 2006.

1. colour

colour Member

This large (4" trunk) Acer x freemanii (Autumn blaze) has a split in the lower portion of the trunk. I've noticed a piece of bark (near the top of the split) is separating from the trunk and is hanging like a loose shingle.

Is this growing trunk split something to be concerned with? This is our second season with the tree (planted last summer), and while it isn't thriving (seems to wilt at the first sign of warm weather) it isn't dropping leaves or anything like that.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

the bark splitting isnt something you can really do anything about but you may want to take those rocks away from the stem, they will hold and radiate a lot of heat through the summer, something a thin barked tree (most Maples) dont like much. the original injury could be a sun scald, winter frost damage or possibly pesticide spray damage from the growers. in the lawn setting I would guess at weed wacker or mower disease might be the culprit.

3. colour

colour Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The split is south facing, so definitely could be a sun scald.

Should I be wrapping the area to protect it from further damage?

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

you could try it. there is a product from Deeproot for protecting trunks. or perhaps a good old whitewash type treatment may be helpful.