maple tree identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by iandlu, Jul 26, 2004.

1. iandlu

iandlu Member

I biked along the Acadia Road of UBC, there is a section of row houses along the west side of the road, at the street level between the parking lot and the houses, there are these maple trees with red color seed wings, the seeds are beautiful. My question is:
    What is the name of these maple trees?

I have also seen a few large maple trees slong the streets in the Greater Vancouver area, the leaves are pale green with dark green spots or dark green sections on them, What is the name of these maple trees?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No idea, I'm afraid.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I believe the plants in question (close to the buildings on Acadia Road south of Fairview Place) are Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki', a cultivar known for its excellent and consistent fall colour. According to J.D. Vertrees (Japanese Maples, 3rd Edition, revised and expanded by Peter Gregory, 2001, Timber Press), this is a very old cultivar (known from the mid 1800s), valued for its robust nature, upright habit, durable leaves and intense crimson autumn colour.

I particularly admire the broad leaves of Osakazuki, which change from pinkish-green as they unfold to light bronze-green then green in summer, and finally (in the Vancouver area) flaming shades of orange and red. Interestingly (at least to me), few books make mention of the beautiful blue waxy bark on young stems, nor the contrasting red samaras, which I think are striking.

The other, larger maple with streaked leaves may be Acer pseudoplatanus 'Leopoldii', another old cultivar (ca. 1860) that is sometimes found on the streets and in parks around Vancouver. A particularly good few can be seen on the 16th Avenue boulevard, either side of Macdonald Street in Vancouver.