Appreciation: Maple Society OSI presents: Acers of Central America

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Apr 29, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The Maple Society Open Science Initiative is proud to present a new paper from our esteemed member Professor Yalma L. Vargas-Rodriguez of the University of Guadalajara.

This important study evaluates the morphological variation and updates the taxonomic status, distribution, and phylogenetic relationships of Acer in Middle America, the southernmost geographic range of the genus in the hemisphere.

You can find Taxonomy and phylogenetic insights for Mexican and Central American species of Acer (Sapindaceae), Yalma L. Vargas-Rodriguez et al, on the OSI page Open Science at the Maple Society | The Maple Society

Meanwhile here are some pictures (copyright 2020 Yalma Vargas-Rodriguez) of one of the rarest maples of all, Acer binzayedii, discovered and named by Yalma!

AcerbinzayediiTree.jpg AcerBinzayediiBranch.jpg AcerBinzayediiLeaf.jpg AcerBinzayediiFruits.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi emery, I'm enjoying the OSI section from the Maple Society news letters. Your threads on this topic is also very welcome indeed. Japanese maples have been my main interests over the past 40+ years, but the last couple of years my interest in Acers has diversified greatly due to these threads. 'Thankyou'

emery likes this.
  3. emery

You're welcome, and I appreciate it! The OSI is mainly on the web, at the link above, so as to be accessible to all including non-members. That's the "open" part; and it's now well demonstrated that "open science" is "better science". The newsletter has of course lots of exclusive content, too: you may have noticed that Yalma has written several articles there which explain her discoveries at more of a lay level.
    Cheers, -E

4. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

any way i can obtain these? are the routes there dangerous?

5. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

this tree has significant value in the horticultural trade

6. emery

If you mean binzayedii, I think the short answer is "no". I don't remember but I think the conservation status is Critically Endangered, which means there are only a few sites/trees, and galoshing around is a terrible idea. And yes, the sites are complicated to access.

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.