Maple Society Open Science: New Acer Vegetative Key

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jul 16, 2018.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

In a collaboration between the University of Ghent and Westonbirt Arboretum, Jan de Langhe and Dan Crowley revisited the vegetative key to the species Acer. Published 24 January, 2018. This update is brought to you by the Maple Society.

Open Science at the Maple Society | The Maple Society

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@emery, it took me a long time to realize that the Maple Resources - Online page has this (older version of this) listed under Arboretum Westpelaar, which words do not occur on the page to which you have linked. I have some issues for which I would like suggestions. I think I should keep this as a separate thread, and just link to it from the Maple Resources Discussion Thread page, see postings #34 and #35 there.

1. The Arboretum Wespelaar Resource item is entirely concerned with this document. Is all the information on that site included in the Acer Vegetative Key document, or is it worth its own Resource listing. If it should be listed separately, maybe you would write the blurb??

2. I think this document should be listed separately, but I can't come up with the best title. I would put it under K for Key, so Key to Acer - Maple Society, or what? When you want a key, wouldn't you look under K? But then it's hard to word the title line.

3. The document seems to be updated every year. If the Maple Society will be the custodian of this key, could there be a page from which it is accessed, with the page having a static URL that doesn't have to be updated every year by everyone linking to the key? Just the Maple Society would update the document and update the link.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your thoughts! In reverse order then:

I don't think the key will be updated yearly, it will probably be a few years before a new version is produced. The Maple Society is the custodian as much as anyone, with the exception that for the time being only Wespelaar has the associated pictures. This should change soon though. I agree that it's a good idea to have a like to the fixed document in the resource section, the direct link is https://maplesociety.org/sites/default/files/Key_Acer_JDL.pdf. (I always publish links to the OSI page with the new element at the top, in the hope people will browse a little).

For a link title, I think the most appropriate is Key to Acer, 2018, de Langhe & Crowley.

This is the same document as that listed on the Wespelaar site. Wespelaar and Westonbirt are important and very active components of the Society. We would prefer to direct people looking for maple information to the MS site. On the Wespelaar site this is one of many vegetative keys that Jan de Langhe has edited. If you want a blurb, I can certainly provide one... PM if you do.

cheers, -E