Maple Resources Discussion Thread

Resources of interest to maple enthusiasts

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi all,

Some of you will remember that in the old forums, we had a section for links to maple-related web sites. I've moved some of these over as a "Resource" under these new forums.

General Maple online resources are available here:
    Maple Web Resources | UBC Botanical Garden Forums

Written Maple resources are available here:
    Maple Resources - Written

Maple nursery listings are available here:
    Note from @wcutler: I had to edit this, as the file hit the maximum size, so I have split them into.
    Maples: Nurseries Specializing in Maples in North America
    and
    Maples: Nurseries Specializing in Maples Outside of North America

I am only about a fifth of the way through transposing the old links to this new resource, so please patient for now as there are certainly gaps. Eventually, though, I'd like for you to suggest new resources or notify me of broken links in this thread. Thank you! [Edited by wcutler: Daniel underestimated the number of resources; it's not a fifth done even with the few I've added.]
    [Edited again by wcutler: these are done now, in two resource files, as shown above].

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2018
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you !

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I've checked all the nurseries links, will check the others, and will add them all. There should be no broken links (among the nurseries, there were very few broken links). I'm just posting this to save anyone from duplicating my effort.

Current plan is to have two Resource files, as there is a limit to the file size. They may even have to be further split, nurseries by region. We'll see.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

5. wcutler

Thanks for looking at the thread, maf. Those were all on the original Resources page, so I will be getting to them. OK, I'll add them next, next week if I don't get to them today. :)

6. wcutler

The ones you mentioned are on now.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    maf likes this.
  7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks. I couldn't work out how to add them directly.

8. wcutler

I'm not sure whether the permissions are such that only one person can work on a resource file. Right now, it's me, so the way it works is just what you did. People suggest stuff in this forum, and whoever is doing the Resource updating would check out the suggestions and add them to the Resource.

9. wcutler

I have finished with the Nurseries Resource (though it wouldn't hurt, @maf, for you to proofread them to make sure I haven't got some mixed up with the wrong links, since I did a lot of copying from one to the next). And what about taking this over now, so you can edit the Resource file when people have new suggestions? If you get a message about the size being too big, you can ask Daniel to give it back to me long enough to split it up into two files. @Daniel Mosquin, I'm suggesting that maf be the updater of the Maples Nurseries. You can leave me on if more than one person can update it, else remove me. Thanks.

I'll start on the non-nurseries resources.

10. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Text for Chris Pattison and Crug farm have been swapped around.

John

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I found these great pdfs on Don Schmid nursery. They have great information on each variety with several photos. The full book (389 pages) has everything or you can check out trees by categories like upright, dwarf, variegated...ect Many show examples of mature trees. Definitely worth checking out!

This is Don's life work, I presume because it would take a lifetime to collect all these great photos and detailed information comprised from his experience growing the varieties (and not the typical recycled descriptions)

Don Schmidt Nursery | Maple Books

Maple Books
    Check out our full Maple Book:
    Full Book (33MB)

or download a single variety:
    Dwarf (8MB) | Lace Leaf (4MB) | Trial (7MB) |Upright (12MB) | Variegated (3MB)

You can also view our Online Plant List to see our selection.

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the link: hours of reading in perspective...

13. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Yes, great source. Thanks JT1

14. Samara

Samara Active Member Maple Society

Thanks for sharing this, JT! It's great to have photos of entire tree.

15. wcutler

Thanks for this. This has been assigned back to me, and I've fixed it now. Sorry it took so long.

16. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I'm bumping this to the top again, because I think it's such a worthwhile reference. Many people might not have had a chance to see it and bookmark it.

...plus the weather is getting colder now, and this book makes for great window shopping.

17. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Dip in randomly; from p.183:
    Sorry, but someone who (a) miscapitalises species names, and (b) gets spelling so badly wrong (should be crataegifolium and veitchii respectively, of course) just doesn't win any respect from me. Getting such things right is a fundamental basic bottom line for anyone writing about plants.

One has to wonder how many of the cultivar names are correct, or not . . .

18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I guess I'm at the point in my life that I could care less who respects who, I have found more important things in life to care about. But I do tend to speak out for those who no longer have a voice.

I can find thanks and admiration when someone has devoted a lifes work to growing since 1939 and chooses to share their knowledge and photos with us. (Don since 1939 and Jim took over in 1974 as second generation)
    I can appreciate the time, effort, and generosity of a man who has passed on and may have never had the chance to edit or hire an editor like a professional publisher, although those large publishers are sometime guilty of bigger mistakes.

From Don's website:

Family owned and operated since 1939, Don Schmidt Nursery is located in Boring, Oregon. After the passing of Jim Schmidt in December of 2009, Eric Schmidt took over the direction of Don Schmidt Nursery continuing his father's legacy specializing in Japanese Maple, Kousa Dogwood and Flowering Cherry varieties.
    Don Schmidt Nursery holds the patent for the Heart Throb Dogwood and is responsible for introducing the Emperor I, Acer Japonicum, Yama Kagi, and the Fireworks Dogwood to the landscaping market as well as several other varieties. The nursery has been featured in American Nurseryman, The Digger andSunset Magazine as well as in local publications. Photographs of Don Schmidt Nursery stock appear inJapanese Maples: third edition by J.D. Vertrees and Peter Gregory to illustrate superior foliage and color within different varieties.

http://www.donschmidtnursery.com/Images/Digger Article.pdf

logdog66 likes this.
  19. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I don't think he was out to win respect. I think he was sharing his knowledge of the cultivar characteristics and a wonderful library of photographs, many of which are not available online or in published books. Given his depth of experience in the field, I'm happy to read his observations and comparisons, and worry less about spelling and editing.

20. wcutler

21. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The current link for Mr. Hayashida's "Maples and Japanese Culture" in the Maple Resources page is
    Maples & Japanese Culture

22. wcutler

Thanks. I've updated the link on the Resources page.

23. chimera

Very good, that was quick. Thanks Wendy.
    The "Serene Gardens" link isn't working right now, either.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  24. wcutler

It worked for me, and the My Japanese Maple Library link worked as well. There is at least one non-working link on the home page to another site, and some javascript errors. I'll let a would-be user pass that on to the page owner.

25. chimera

Hmmm, I get a 403-Forbidden message at the Serene Garden link and can't seem to find the My Japanese Maple Library link. Maybe it's my computer.