maple IDs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Moose, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Moose

Moose Member

Both of these maples were grown from seed.

Seed for the smaller-lobed leaf was collected in Nova Scotia on a roadside in the country in September of 2005. My notes say"maple-like seed but leaf is ovate, doubletoothed, serrate, long-tipped, light green, slightly whitened below, longer petiole, leaf about the size of a typical hawthorne". I did not note whether twigs were opposite but the seedlings (10 inches high) are holding to that characteristic. As I recall this was shrublike and only 6 to 8 feet tall. At least it was not a big tree. (The leaf picture may be presenting juvenile characteristics since the leaf is from a seedling.)

Seed for the deeply-lobed leaf was probably collected from someone's garden or a park. This tree has red twigs (new-growth) and red petioles. It is growing quite quickly (faster than a silver maple) with small leaves and slender rather upright branches (looks shruuby).

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Compare with Amur maple.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

First is probably an off-beam Red Maple (Acer rubrum).
    Second is Amur Maple (Acer ginnala).

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. Moose

Moose Member

Thank you all for steering me in the right direction. Pictures in the Maple Photo Gallery lead me to tentatively to decide on Acer tartaricum sp tartaricum. Time will tell!