maple cuttings

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by acer drewmondii, Oct 17, 2005.

1. acer drewmondii

acer drewmondii Member

when is the best time to do maple cuttings,and how is it best done.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Many maples are very difficult to root, as are many species of trees.

The only success will be in early summer with new growth that has just slightly firmed up, called softwood cuttings. A weak strength rooting hormone is applied, and the cuttings stuck in something like 50:50 peat and perlite, with bottom heat at about 20C.

I have an automatic mist setup that mists the cuttings every 10 minutes or so for a few seconds to keep the foliage just barely moistened. Before these contraptions were used, some success was also achieved with covering with a plastic tent, and keeping them in a shaded area to prevent wilting.

I have found some varieties of ***. maples much easier to root than others. Other maple species vary greatly as well, so just have fun with them and you may have a pleasant surprise!

Glen

3. acer drewmondii

acer drewmondii Member

thank you very much ,ps what do you recommend for a misting system

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

If you can play with irrigation pipe and fittings, you can make your own mist system. I'm not handy, but was able to do it quite easily.

I glued PVC 1/2in. risers onto a 3/4 in. horizontal PVC pipe, with the little microspray misters screwed into the tops of the risers. The risers are about 2 ft. apart.

I attached a solenoid valve onto the input end of the 3/4 in. pipe, attached to a good quality timer that can turn on and off for very short bursts (like 5-6 seconds at a time). That timer is plugged into a 24 hour timer like you use to turn your lights on and off when you're away.

I found a fitting that attaches to the solenoid on one end, and accepts a garden hose on the other, and the hose is turned on all the time to supply the water. The timers make the water mist out of the spray heads for several seconds every so many minutes (depending on the weather) during daylight hours only.

After a few years the novelty starts to wear off, but not before you've raised way more shrubs and perennials (almost for free) than you could ever fit in your own garden, and your friend's and relative's!

5. acer drewmondii

acer drewmondii Member

thank you muchley, i am on ebay now buying a timmer and some nozzelsto make my own. new at gardening and am a big fan of maples .i have 5 cuttings in my celler in sand from a acer palmatium drumundii

6. Ping

Ping Member

I tried more than 15 Japanese cultivars and some other maple cuttings. The results indicate rooting not difficult. From May to August you can root them easily.

7. bkjoe25

bkjoe25 Member

I am currently workin on makin a cloner box..... I'll post the results I due time

8. grannysmith

grannysmith Member

Ping, that would be your autumn - winter? What type of cuttings did you use?