Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Inaba shidare ' is very well known. I have it in my garden. The synonym here is Anaba shidare. (Vertrees).

2. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Tsuri nishiki ' is not so well known. The two synonyms here are Ampelopsifolium. ( MOW) and Amelopsifolium. (Vertrees).

3. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Issai nishiki momiji ' and the synonym is Amime nishiki. (Yano).

4. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Ornatum ' is extremely well known the world over. The synonym here is Amatum. (MOW).

5. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Hazeriono ' and the synonym here is Ama-no-hagoromo. (Vertrees/Yano).

6. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Amagi shigure' needs no introduction at all. The synonym here is Amagi sigure. (U/K).

7. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Versicolor ' makes another appearance. The synonym here is Albovariegatum. (Vertrees).

8. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Matsugae ' and the synonym here is Albomarginatum. (MOW).

9. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Ornatum ' makes another appearance, the synonym here is Aka washi-no-o. (Krussmann).

10. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Shinobuga oka ' makes four more appearances. The synonyms are:- Aka shime-no-uchi. ( Vertrees/Yano ).
    Aka shime. (Yano). Aka shichigosan. (Vertrees). Aka-no-shichigosan.(Yano).

11. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Beni shigitatsu sawa' will interest a lot on the forum. The synonym here is Aka shigitatsu sawa, ( Vertrees/ Yano).

12. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Tamuke yama' makes another appearance, The synonym here is Aka shidare. (Vertrees).

13. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Shime-no-uchi ' and the synonym is Aka-no-hichigosan. (Vertrees).

14. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Kaba' was discussed a few days ago on the forum. The synonym here is Akaji. (Maillot List 2006).

15. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Enkan' is another that is well known to forum members. The synonym here is Aekin les. (Stanley Cat./ Schmidt).

16. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer japonicum 'Attaryi' is another well known maple. The synonym here is Aconitifolium USA. (MOW).
    Edit 1, after receiving a PM a few minutes ago from J, I am adding that Aconitifolium UK may well be different to the US cultivar 'Attaryi'. So anyone not in the US should take note.

17. Acerholic

My synonym list is complete 'for now', but as and when I receive new information I will add to this thread. I have stuck to Acer palmatum, shirasawanum and japonicum, as this is what has been requested by members via PM's.
    All information has come from World Checklist Of Maple Cultivar Names, Maples of the World, Vertrees 4th Edition and Book for Maples (Yano).
    I hope this thread will help members when they come accross a maple name they haven't heard of before and and can cross ref it for a synonym or a similar to.
    Any other information has come direct from members, and I thank them for their contribution either on here or by PM's direct to me.

Derek

maf and Acirón like this.
  18. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Thank you so much D!

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

You are very welcome P. It might help everyone one day.

20. Acerholic

After a couple of PM's about what book I'm referring to in my postings re (Yano), here is a photo of the cover of my book.
    20210524_121609.jpg

21. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’d like to say a big thank you to Derek for undertaking this task.
    Miss naming, miss spelling and synonyms are a real issue for any collector.

Acerholic and maf like this.
  22. Acerholic

Thankyou J, very kind of you. I hope it helps someone, sometime.

23. Acerholic

Another that has come to light over the past couple of days from a member is that of Acer palmatum 'Pink Passion'. Now this one has been described as brighter pink than Acer palmatum 'Shirazz', but of a similar variegation. So I will add it to the list as 'similar to' at this time.

24. Acerholic

This one is from me, Acer shirasawanum 'Yasemin' that is very similar to shirasawanum Gloria. I compared it to a friends tree and tbh I could not tell the difference.

25. Acerholic

Here is another one that has been discussed on the forum today, so quite topical. Acer dissectum 'Nigrum' and the synonym is Ever Red.