Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

OK, there is some confusion, but I will endeavour onwards.
    Cultivar name Takane shidare is the synonym of = 'Fuji-no-takane'.

2. Acerholic

Thanks E. The check list really does not make that very clear at all. But all that apart. We do have both names listed as the same tree. This is what a lot of members want as I've been hearing, but I will reverse it as you have advised, to ensure it is correct.
    Lots of hard work, but I will get there for the members.
    Thanks again E.

3. Acerholic

Right, now I've seen how the World Checklist for cultivars works in a backwards style, which tbh is very strange to me. But I think Yoda would understand, lol. I will get on with it.
    Thanks E, your a star.

4. Acerholic

Taka isago is the synonym of Acer palmatum 'Takamoda yama'. (Vertrees).

5. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Daimyo' and the synonym is Taimin. (Yano)

6. Acerholic

OK, We all know this cultivar, 'O Sakazuki' but the synonym is less obvious. It is Taihai. ( Vertrees)

7. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'O sakazuki akame'. And the synonym is Syuzen ji. (Yano)

8. Acerholic

This cultivar we all know and love. Acer palmatum 'Shojo', but the synonym is unknown in most circles, it is Syojo syowa. ( Vertrees/ C .v. Gelderen).

9. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Shojo shidare' and it's synonym Syojo shidare. (Vertrees)

10. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Kagiri' and it's synonym is Syojo. ( Vertrees)

11. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Shojo nomura' and it's synonym is Syoiou nomura. ( Vertrees).

12. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Kagiri' and it's synonym is Syoiou. ( Vertrees)

13. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Suru sumi' and the synonym is Suru zume. (Vertrees).

14. Acerholic

This cultivar is a lot more familiar, Acer palmatum 'Attraction' and the synonym is Superbum. Yes honestly !! ( Esveld)

15. Acerholic

This cultivar everybody knows Acer palmatum 'Aureum ' and the synonym is Sunrise. (MOW).

16. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Sumi shidare' and the synonym is Sumieda shidare. (Vertrees)

17. Acerholic

This cultivar is a favourite in my garden, Acer palmatum 'Flavescens'. The synonym is Sulphureum. (Vertrees).

18. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

At first, I thought this thread could be helpful, I even started making a speadsheet.

Now I think it's very confusing and of very little interest.

Sorry, but I think it's wasting a lot of time on something that is not worth it : some of the "synonyms" that are listed are doudtful, or so rare that it amounts to a nursery-man making a typo.

No hard feelings I hope ?...

19. Acerholic

Understood Alain, but as I've received so many PM's of support for this thread and it's my own time that is as you say, being wasted, I will continue.
    No hard feelings at all.

20. Acerholic

OK, I understand that some of these are obscure, but as I've just been told on a PM. People can chose to ignore or not. But they are here if and when they want to see them.
    So, this cultivar Acer palmatum ' Shigitatsu Sawa ' has the synonym name of Striatum. (MOW).

21. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Hagoromo' has a synonym name of Stalkless.
    ( Vertrees). You can see where that one came from.,

22. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Corallinum ' has the synonym name of Spring Fire. ( MOW); This is another that you can see why this came about.

23. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Ornatum' has the synonym name of Spiderleaf. ( MOW). No need to expand on the reason for this one.

24. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Toyama nishiki ' has the synonym name of Sotoyama nishiki. ( Vertrees).

25. Acerholic

Cultivar Acer palmatum ' Sotoyama' has the synonym name of Toyama. (Vertrees).