Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi guys. 'Okushimo' is from the list of 1704. It has as a synonym 'Crispa'.

However, 'Crippsii', Hillier 1928 is a different maple. Although it is an easy mistake to make (I've done it), it is not spelled crispii.

Shin-Deshojo and LoverOfMaples like this.
  2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

hi @Shin-Deshojo

this is a discussion from a while back i found.

Acer palmatum "Crippsii"

i love this forum because it holds a lot of good discussions and knowledge. the pictures are a plus!

opusoculi and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It will be removed, thankyou E.

4. Acerholic

I couldn't agree more D, I hope to elaborate on this thread in the coming weeks, lots of correspondence atm, so watch this space.

5. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Hi @LoverOfMaples ,
    Thank you for the link.
    I am going to check it.

EDIT: very interesting, but still confused as I see 3 different maples in that thread and the one I was referring to is pictured in the last post, and the conversation ended there...
    I guess if all the knowledgable members that posted on that thread couldn't find a conclusion i am not going to be able to help but it still very interesting to read all those informations.

Not only is difficult to slow down the addiction to collect many cultivars and choose the best ones that are true reference, but also now we end up with lovely trees in our gardens that have no real track back and can give an headache.
    I really enjoy my tree and think it is an awesome cultivar, but at the same time I am not proud of owning it as it is not a true reference and i do not often see others posting it...i feel like i own an intrude.

Oh well ...i guess that's why @Acerholic created this thread.
    Sorry all if it was a bit offtopic.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  6. Acerholic

7. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

It may be sold soon as 'fukushima'...as i see this buisness is getting very messy sometimes...
    Everytime they change a letter or two.
    Hope my joke didn't hurt anyone, if so, let me know and i will delete my post.

8. Acerholic

Very close I, but I think it will be taken in the jovial manner that was intended, lol.,

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Another just dropped into my PM box 'Effegi' a synonym of Fireglow.

11. emery

Thanks Ron. Indeed I gave the date incorrectly, as it was listed that was in the Checklist, which I improperly inferred was the origin rather than the reference for the citation, that is Hillier's catalogue of 1928. Indeed the Hillier's Manual mentions that 'Crippsii' received the Award of Merit in 1903. And also that it is a "plant of weak constitution!"

My old 7th ed. Bean points out (discussing A. palmatum) "There seems to be a promising field for raisers of good forms from seed in the milder parts of this country. Japanese Maples were very successfully grown in the Tunbridge Wells nursery of Messrs Cripps before its dispersion."

I find it curious that Vertrees/Gregory don't give more prominent place to the venerable 'Crippsii'.

12. Acerholic

This one just came in, Ever Red a synonym of Nigrum (D)
    Now this one is advertised a lot, so if you have Nigrum dissectum already then don't bother with Ever Red and vice versa of course.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  13. Ron B

There is a non lace leaf cultivar 'Nigrum' so replacement of 'Dissectum Nigrum' with 'Nigrum' would seem to me to be problematic.

14. Acerholic

Agreed Ron, but having checked this on the accepted names and Synonyms RHS. It is shown as such.

15. Acerholic

Now this one that came in a few minutes ago might interest a few members. Toyama-nishiki, Synonym Goshiki-shidare.

16. emery

I've heard that, and the contrary. Yano lists them as synonyms, with Toyama nishiki from the list of 1882. IIRC discussion is heated on the subject! :)

17. Acerholic

Coming in thick and fast now, Chiyo-hime Synonym Little Princess.
    Now I've seen both names being sold online as different trees. And on one occasion by the same seller. Bit naughty !!

18. Acerholic

I saw this one advertised the other day, 'online' once again. Pine Bark Maple, but it's a Synonym of Nishiki-gawa.

BTW, I am double checking all of these.

19. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Hi, Pine Bark is not the same that Arakawa?

20. Acerholic

Good evening P, have a look at this thread,
    Acer palmatum 'Arakawa'
    AlainK quotes from Vertrees and Gregory about the two differences.
    So, you are correct, they are not the same.

Acirón likes this.
  21. Acerholic

A friend just texted me to say what about Emperor 1 and Synonym Red Emperor. So yes this one is often sold all over with both names, so it will definitely be added to the list.

22. Ron B

In all instances any origination back story that can be found needs to be made use of when deciding if a cultivar name is superfluous. With it being in fact the case that third party determinations such as RHS listings that are presented in formats with no argument attached are not reliable enough to adopt in every instance without knowing the reasoning behind each.

23. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Toyama nishiki' = 'Goshiki shidare' = 'Beni shidare tri colour' , actually did a thread on these some years back, it's on here some where?

'Baldsmith' = 'Watnong'

'Taylor' = 'ijoshi'

Surprised know ones mentioned 'Peaches and cream' = 'White peaches' this always causes arguments and confusion.

And most of the new reticulated variations , pick the bones out of these in a few years time , these are going to cause some fun.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Thanks M, I will update the the list.

25. Acerholic

Agreed M, I have both and they are different, but not that much tbh. It does depend on where they are placed a lot of the time. If I had my time over and had this forumfir help, then it would be one or the other. Not both.