many new conifers to plant--oh my!

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by third_acre, Feb 3, 2007.

1. third_acre

third_acre Member

I live in Pacific NW Oregon USA. Can tsuga heterophylla 'Iron Springs' take partial shade? How much growth per year?

How tall will cedrus deodara 'Snow Sprite' get? Can it take partial shade?

Same Q's for Cupressus glabra 'Blue Ice'

How much growth annually for Platycladus orientalis "Morgan'? Full sun best, or PS OK?

TIA

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most of these are small-growing. The hemlock is shade-tolerant, the wild typical plant is a climax species here, growing up from beneath Douglas firs and other seral species to take over where fires do not return in time to set the procession back again. The deodar will require a little shade, otherwise it's palest parts are likely to burn and drop off.

The cypress can be expected to shoot up quick into a fairly big plant. Full exposure all around required for this nearly desert climate tree, highly resentful of shading in the manner of pines and eucalypts.

The biota will likewise be best with full light, otherwise habit and coloring may not be as good.

3. third_acre

third_acre Member

Thx Ron, that is very helpful. i have to go move the cypress now! When I researched the cedrus b4 I wrote down 15 to 20 ft: does that sound right? Third_acre.

4. Ron B

Will probably get there eventually.

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Typical 10 year size for Snow Sprite is 4'-5'; 15' will take 25-40 years depending on culture.

6. Ron B

7. third_acre

third_acre Member

Thx silver creek & ron b. I will be planting some more tomorrow. does "partial shade" mean dappled shade or sun part of the day shade part of the day?

8. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

My own experience with the variegated Cedrus clones- Snow Sprite, White Imp, Silver Mist- is that they do best with more sun rather than less. My first Snow Sprite had to be moved as it was getting open and rangy in a site with about 3 hours of overhead sun (summer) and shade the rest of the day. You are a little warmer than I am, but I would make sure that in the summer, your Snow Sprite gets at least full sun for part of the day- I now have a White Imp where it gets sun from sunrise to about 1 or 2 pm- it looks great in this spot. My Snow Sprite and Silver Mist are now in full sun, and do not burn at all.

I haven't found Snow Sprite to be that vigorous- I usually rely on Don Howse's (Porterhowse Nursery) general size estimates and in my garden, they have for the most been accurate. I also know the Cedrus are very culturally influence; a conifer collector from Oklahoma once described how Silver Mist grows for him- nearly twice the growth rate estimated in the general nursery trade. Cedrus also seem to be very responsive of irrigation, growing much faster if given supplemental summer water. I do not irrigate the Cedrus in my garden, that may be why they grow more slowly.

9. Ron B

Vigor of seedling rootstocks used will vary.