Mango seedlings multi branches :/

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Xisbi, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

Hi, I started mango from seed and now it stared to grow it's next set of leaves, or I thought it was. Just looked at it last night and it looks like it is growing 3 branches. From what I have seen of mango's they grow up without branching for a while. But for a mango start branching on the second set of leaves, Is that strange? won't that make the tree very short? And no the seedling was not topped, cut or touched in anyway.

Attached Files:

Winn winn likes this.
  2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know how normal it is to grow such low branches, but you can prune off any branches that you don't want.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There a chance not all the side shoots will survive since the weaker ones are shed naturally. I think it would be nice to end up with a lower branching tree since that will result in one with denser foliage. This is a tall tree tree that is being grown indoors so the sooner it branches the better otherwise the leaves will be too close to the ceiling.

4. Xisbi

Xisbi New Member

I actually want it to branch out and keep the tree short. Is removing the middle bud a good idea?

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I would let it grow naturally for now and see what happens. It looks like the leftmost shoot may be shed but I would probably remove it anyway even if it weren't. I think the tree would look best and be stronger with one leader and a side branch.