Mango plant is dying

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mangoAdmirer, Nov 9, 2022.

1. mangoAdmirer

mangoAdmirer New Member

My mango plant (Mallika variety) recently had what seemed like a mealybug infestation. I applied EndAll pesticide and 70% isopropyl alcohol, and now the bugs mostly seem to be gone.

However, I notice that the leaves are browning and blotching as follows. The soil also seems ridden with bugs (see the white-ish layer at the top, though all soil seems to have lots of tiny insects).

I am not sure how to treat the mango, nor if it can survive. It used to be a rapid grower this summer and extremely healthy -- I don't know what happened and how to restore it to health. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums.

The soil bugs that you mentioned are not apparent from the one photo that was uploaded. Did the damage to the leaves appear shortly after treatment with the End-All and isopropanol? Neither product is likely to be the cause though. The first thing I thought of after seeing the botches is mesophyll collapse. I don't know if it affects mangos but this is what it looks like on citrus leaves: Citrus: Identifying Diseases and Disorders of Leaves and Twigs—UC IPM.

3. _01Micka

_01Micka New Member

I have exactly the same problem with my avocado tree and I don't know what to do... It is very difficult to dose the watering I find and I think that the problems often come from there...

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Avocados are pretty easy to overwinter indoors. If you don't use grow lights then at your latitude you should keep your tree in relatively cool conditions and water sparsely but thorough.
    I never tried to grow mangoes. I suppose the OP is using grow lights. Bug infestation is typical for weakened plants, so probably there is something wrong with the watering. Or maybe the air is too dry. Or still not enough light. Light is very important, as photosynthesis is the only source of energy and construction elements for your mango tree.