When I last went grocery shopping, I purchased a bag of reduced-price fruit. Alongside the pears and a Granny Smith apple reposed a mango. So I thought...OK! Possessing a combination of zero mango experience and a vague awareness that these drupes have a growable seed within, I looked up information on how to dissect and sprout... ...and was astonished to learn that Mangifera indica is a member of the family Anacardiaceae---as are Cotinus, cashew---and poison ivy! My astonishment turned to horror when I further discovered that, like the detested Toxicodendron, mango produces urushiol---a chemical, to my sorrow, with which I am all too familiar. This blistering allergen can be found in mango peel and in the plant's leaves and bark. Allergenic urushiols are present in the fruit peel and can trigger contact dermatitis in sensitised individuals. This reaction is more likely to occur in people who have been exposed to other plants from the family Anacardiaceae, such as poison oak and poison ivy, which are widespread in the United States. (Above from Mangifera indica - Wikipedia) My questions are these: 1. Should I, a proven urushiol-allergic, be anywhere near this mango? Apparently I could eat the fruit IF I could figure out how to peel it safely. (With gloves and a welder's mask, maybe.) 2. How can I perform the necessary maneuvers on the seed (cutting husk open; handling seed to sprout and plant)---and how can I grow a plant whose leaves I cannot touch without danger of blistered skin? Biding its time on a fridge shelf, the mango awaits my decision. Advice invited!