Mandevilla houseplant

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by adaley, Jul 30, 2006.

1. adaley

adaley Member

Hello,

I recently bought a mandevilla houseplant and I love it, however it is not doing so well. I have only had it for 2 weeks and the bottom leaves are turning yellow. I read on a website that these plants (more like a vine) are to be kept outside during the summer months, would that go for New Brunswick Canada as well. The days have been quite hot here as are the nights, sometimes the nights can get cool though, is it alright to leave it outside??? Somebody help me, I am just getting into plants, I have a few others that I have had for a while and they seem to be doing good but I have killed a few!! Thanks for any help anyone can offer, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    ADaley

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have never heard of Mandevilla grown as a house plant before. I would imagine it very difficult to replicate those cultural requirements.
    Do you have a sunroom or solarium?

Cheers, LPN.

3. adaley

adaley Member

I do have a sunroom, should I put it in there? I bought the plant and it was sold as a houseplant, maybe I should inform the store that it is not a houseplant. I really like the plant and would love for it to survive.
    Thanks,
    Adaley

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

You should have this in the sunniest part of your indoor invironment. Pinch out tip growth periodically and mist to provide humidity. Don't let this plant dry out much between watering, but don't waterlog the soil either. Watch for spider mites or scale insects. Good luck with your Mandevilla.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

My father leaves his outside during the summer months, and he lives in Manitoba. He does not keep it in full sun, though - burns the leaves. He keeps it in dappled sunlight underneath a small stand of poplars. He does bring it in inside during the winter.

6. Harwoodbalcony

Harwoodbalcony Member

I finally planted one on my southwest facing balcony (Vancouver) and it's flourishing. During the summers anywhere in Canada it would be best outside. Everything I've read says it cannot take temperatures lower than 10 degrees C so it has to be brought indoors in the fall.

From what I've found on the net I'm told that it needs to be drastically pruned and then kept on the dry side until things warm up again in the spring, when it will go outside again.

There's a ton of material about overwintering mandevilla vines on-line. Just google it.

Good luck!