Mandevilla and Gardenia dying...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by msjaded02, Dec 15, 2007.

1. msjaded02

msjaded02 Member

Hi, I am not sure where to put this...I have a pink mandevilla and a gardenia bush together in a wine barrel, sitting on my front porch. They have been "roommates" for well over a year now, and did just fine up until recently. The last couple of months, they seem to be dying a slow death. At first, I thought it was the change in weather we are having here -- cold nights, hot days....now its just cold...they are still dying. The gardenia bush is yellow, brown and getting crispy. The mandevilla is losing its leaves, after they yellow up. The barrels drain well, I added more soil to the top to refreshen the soil, and added some diluted fertilizer as well. I just dont understand what went wrong, they were beautiful all year...I put them together last summer. The mandevilla, I have had for about 3 seasons. Last summer, our building was painted, and the painters trampled the vines and coated it with paint. Thought I was going to lose it, but cleaned it up, cut it back and it was beautiful again this spring and summer...now its just sad looking, with small, pale flowers, and yellowing leaves. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!