Mandarin with brown spots.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by gunas, Sep 27, 2009.

1. gunas

gunas Member

Hello everyone!
    I bougth this mandarin plant two months ago.The plant had this spots before i bought it.I checked it and there is no bugs, ants or anything else moving around.I understand that maybe this plant had any kind of illness in the past.
    I have it planted in a 60cm spot with good compost in my terrace (good sun from 9am to 6pm), because it is starting the spring here, there are no more than 20cent during the day.
    Another thing to mention is that the plan has not grew yet (It has the same leaves and there are no small fruits showing up at this time) so it seems that something is worng maybe or i should wait until better climate arrives.

Attached some pictures.

I will appreciate any kind of help!!
    cheers from Argentina
    Gunas

Attached Files:

2. RWeb

RWeb Member

I found this article about a year ago as I had a similar problem. hope this helps.
    You can also visit MyGarden for more gardening information

-----------------------------------------------------------

During the last three years, a new disease was observed in northwestern Greece on Minneola trees, hybrid of mandarin and grapefruit. On May small brown necrotic leaf spots surrounded by yellow halo areas of various sizes appeared and covered a major portion of the leaves with extension of necrosis into the veins. On young fruits small, slightly depressed black spots were the first symptoms, which later became 2–7 mm in diameter. Brown spots were observed on the leaves and fruits in several orchards in the same area, causing leaves and fruits to drop. In some orchards over 50% of the fruits were affected. From the fruit and leaf spots the typical small-spore species Alternaria alternata was isolated. Pathogenicity tests were performed by artificially inoculating fruits of Minneola, common mandarin and Clementine. The symptoms of the disease were reproduced only on fruits of Minneola hybrids by the specific strain of the fungus Alternaria alternata pv. citri. Different citrus susceptibility tests indicated that mandarins Minneola, Nova and Page were very susceptible to tested isolates while Clementine SRA and Poros Clementine were not. All lemons and lime Seedless were not susceptible. Grapefruit New Hall was not susceptible, while the Star Ruby was. Orange Lane Late, Navel Late, Oval Poros, Olinda, Navel Athos were not susceptible and only Moro showed reaction being slightly susceptible only to one isolate.

I know this indicates that it's from Greece, but might help you in identifying the problem :)

Vegetable Garden + Home Garden = My Garden
    WLB

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually, the leaf damage looks to be old spray damage that possible occurred at the nursery. If the leaves were already damaged when you purchased the tree, and has not progressed, you have nothing to worry about. However, the potting soil that you have your tree growing will certainly be a future problem. From looking at the pictures you provided, the growth medium (potting soil) looks to be peat moss with a little perlite added. If you keep your tree in this type of growth medium, the expected life span of your containerized tree will be 2 years or less. Peat moss potting soils compact with each watering, and as it compacts the air porosity becomes less and less, and the medium stays wet for longer periods of time. This will greatly reduce the oxygen in the root zone. Normally, when peat moss potting soils are used, the tree begins to decline in 6 to 8 months. I would advise you to read about appropriate potting soils for Citrus trees at the Citrus Forum on this web site. I would recommend the use of either Coconut Husk Chips (CHC) or a bark medium. - Millet (1,206-)

4. gunas

gunas Member

Thank you guys for your help on that! I will check the soil and see what i can do !

cheers from Argentina
    Gunas