Mallow recipe

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by xelard, Jul 6, 2013.

1. xelard

xelard New Member

around our neighborhood there are many species of mallow plants, tall ones, shorts ones, with large flowers, or large leaves. We were eating the buds that taste like sweet okra would taste, having the leaves in salads, when I realized that this is mallow, as in marshmallow.
    How would I go about making marshmallow from the roots (and/or the buds, and leaves)?

2. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

today, there is no mallow in the marshmallows! it has been replaced by gelatin.
    to use your own mallow, first you must extract the juice from either the leaves or roots. i asked my grandmother, and she said to use the roots only, or you get greenish marshmallows! first use your blender to mash the roots up a bit, then boil the roots mash on low, for 5-10 mins. strain through cheese cloth, and put back on stove once again on low until the mallow is boiled down and sticky, 'ribbons' when spoon is lifted from pot. ( i guess she means when it no longer runs like water off the spoon, falls in ribbons, like candy making)
    she did not give me the recipe for marshmallows, as she said this is the extraction phase. i hope this helps some.... she is looking in her old Amish cook books for the exact recipe....i will post it if she finds it....she is 93, everything takes time! peace and happy gardening!!

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. xelard

xelard New Member

Excellent vid recipe. I simplified it, and we made marshmallows, albeit more gummy and pea-flavored. They make a good point about being careful and not eat roots of every medicinal plant.