Making my lemon tree thicker

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by TipseyTara, Sep 22, 2008.

1. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

I planted a lemon tree from seed back in May of this year. At this point it is doing rather well. It's a little over a foot tall with lots of leaves.
    My only problem with the tree is that it's not growing any branches. It's just growing straight up. Will it ever start branching out? I read somewhere online today that if i "pinch" the new growth (which is only at the top of the tree) it will make the tree thicker, as in branch out. It had said to do it after the node.
    The trouble is, i'm new to gardening and wasn't sure what a node was. I now know but am too afraid to cut/pinch/prune my young lemon tree for fear i will kill it.
    So, long story short...

Will my lemon tree eventually start branching out on it's own as it gets older or am I suppose to Pinch the new growth at the top off?

ANY advice would be great!

Thanks,
    Tara

P.S. Just thought I'd give a quick "thumbs up" to this website. It was this site which got me hooked on playing in the dirt as i call it. And has been my bible ever since!
    Everything I eat with a seed now i come to this site to find out how i could grow it.
    So thanks to the people who work so hard to make this site what it is!

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The tree will at some point branch out on its own, or you can pinch the stem back to induce branching. A node is any place on the tree where a leaf attaches to the stem. You do not need to worry about pinching the tree back, it is a very safe procedure. In nature what makes a tree develop a strong stem that does not require staking is the wind. The flicking back and forth against the pressure of the wind, develops the strength of a firm trunk. This can be accomplished by putting your tree outdoors starting at 2 inches in height, or by using a fan when growing indoors. Also leaving the leaves or branches that may be attached, or that may later develop, to the lower trunk attached for as long as possible also adds strength and size to the lower trunk. These can easily removed in a year or two. - Millet

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Most growers let trees like lemon grow to about 2 ft tall before toping to stimulate branching.