magnolia trees

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by anni, Oct 20, 2009.

1. anni

anni Member

Hi,

I have a mature magnolia tree - over 30 years old. Can someone tell me what the life span of a magnolia tree is? Also, how do its roots grow? Do they spread out or go down?

I'm afraid that the roots of my tree are getting too close to my house's foundation. I don't want to cut the tree down but I may have to.

Thank you,
    Anni

PS I don't know if this is the way you ask a question here......

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

30 years is a very short span for a tree. Nearly all trees root mostly near the surface, an exception being certain desert species growing under desert conditions. The main factor affecting possible impact on foundation is type and condition of foundation, tree is not automatically going to have an adverse effect.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Magnolias tend to be fairly slow growing so the likelihood of foundation damage is not high. If it is planted 2 feet away from the house you may have a problem, if it is 20 feet away then very unlikely. As Ron says the condition of the foundation is important, but given the choice the roots will prefer soil when presented with a tough barrier like a solid foundation.