Magnolia Problems

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Antonin, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Antonin

Antonin Member

Hi all,

I have a standard Magnolia, what species I am not sure, but it has had some problems over the last few years. The tree is approximately 30-40 years old, and is south facing. The location of the tree is two blocks from the lake in Kelowna, zone 6. Until about 15 years ago, it was shaded by large pine trees, 60+ feet high. Those trees were removed, and the Magnolia started to grow at an exponential rate. The tree has kept growing, but water sprouts are a common problem. At these locations, the tree has split, and has become infested with something, shown on the second picture. I was wondering what the problem is and what could be done about it. The other problem is in the first picture, where the tree has split down the trunk, and healed again. I am not sure if the problem is freezing related, or weight related. I hope I made this clear enough, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for your time,

Antonin

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest you contact an arborist to have alook at the tree and give you some suggestions. You can search the ISA website for arborists or try Ian Wilson, Kelowna BC 250-862-5580 iwilson@city.kelowna.bc.ca
    , he is a certified arborist in your area.