Magnolia officinalis ssp. biloba

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Kiyoko, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Kiyoko

Kiyoko Member

Where in the lower mainland can I find this tree?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since wholesale Chinese origin plant importer Piroche Plants had some of this at one time, as part of their Wild Dragon series perhaps there is still some on the market there somewhere. The trees might be pretty big by now, if cared for properly.

Unless you are assembling a collection or want this particular one for another specific reason, the closely related M. hypoleuca (M. obovata) is by far the superior ornamental.

Not that there are lots of it in local nurseries these days, either.

3. conor123

conor123 Member

4. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    I agree the acquired seed from the Plant Explorers was very viable . My germination was in the 95% range and they all grew to approx. 12"+ the first season . The key to growing Magnolia from seed is to collect it very fresh ; clean the pulp off immediately ; moist cold stratify for 5 months @ 40F ; then finally sow @ 70F+ until germination commences . Happy Growing !!

5. Kiyoko

Kiyoko Member

Thanks for all the information everyone ! I was also wondering if they are hardy for the lower mainland. I live in Ladner.

Thanks =)

6. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Yeah, they are hardy here. I have a regular (non-biloba) officinalis and rather like it. Narrow stem, tall tree, decent but not profuse flowering. I probably got it from Piroche, come to think of it.