Magnolia fraseri, tripetala and macrophylla

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by albornoz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. albornoz

albornoz Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me the name or website in Vancouver or anywhere in B.C or Canada that might have these species for sale. I can't seem to find them. Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Everyone goes for the evergreen magnolia and the precocious-flowering Asian species - and even among those mostly the more shrubby ones like star, saucer and lily magnolias. The large-leaved umbrella-type magnolias are much scarcer and more sporadic in outlets. The most garden-worthy of these by far is M. hypoleuca. It should be sought out in preference to the others for ornamental planting. If, on the other hand you are assembling a collection you may have to see about importing plants from nearby US suppliers such as forestfarm or Gossler Farms - such an adventure may require bringing the plants in yourself, if the nurseries don't want to ship to Canada - or ordering seeds and growing your own that way.

Note that M. tripetala has malodorous flowers. If you're going to try to grow any of these in Edmonton you will need a large cool greenhouse to keep them through the winter. None will flower young or in a small size, except perhaps where you might have gotten ahold of a grafted named selection that has the sexual maturity of the stock plant. These seem to be seldom offered, and expensive when they are.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. albornoz

albornoz Member

Thanks for responding Ron. I was in Atlanta in May and June of 2007 and got to know these beautiful species(im not sure which one) walking down by the Chattahochee river. I think it might have been m. macrophylla. Anyways I want these species mainly for their large exotic leaves than for the flowers. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and I've been very succesful with a large star magnolia that I bought in Vancouver. I also planted an Elizabeth magnolia a couple of weeks ago. I want to try m. tripelata outside as an experiment and one like a patio plant. I know it is a zone 5 but that is zone pushing...

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Umbrella magnolia smells "like a wet goat" in flower, particularly for use described just about any other would be preferable. Your best bet might be M. x weiseneri (M. x watsonii), amounting structurally to a sort of dwarf version of M. hypoleuca. For a smaller version of M. macrophylla that blooms quite young look for M. macrophylla ssp. ashei (M. ashei).

Edmonton is liable to be a very tough location for these plants, be sure to check on likelihood of success before investing in one and then leaving it out in full exposure to die in a hard winter or be damaged by severe summer conditions.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. smivies

smivies Active Member

Of the large leaved NA varieties, M. tripetala will be the hardiest.....

Mature specimens of M. tripetala & M. fraseri are growing at the Dominion arboretum in Ottawa. Not a zone 3 climate but they've seen temperatures below -30ºC. There are also M. stellata and M. x soulangiana. Not sure about M. acuminata. An old, old article (20 years?) from Harrowsmith magazine described magnolia growing in Ottawa....if you can find it, read it. It's probably the best reference I've ever seen on growing magnolias in cold climates.

Even M. macrophylla was attempted in Ottawa. Wood was hardy but the roots succumbed in one cold snowless winter. I suspect that will be a weakness for all the magnolias....keep the roots insulated with snow or otherwise.

6. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi, a little late,
    you should try the new yellow and offspring of yellow (some pinks) magnolias. I believe, bred from accuminata-- very hardy-- with longer bloom times. They are hardy in northern Ontario and Quebec, probably zone 4.
    Your local nursery should be able to get them for you, they are almost all grown in BC.