Appreciation: Magic mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Acerholic, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I was very interested in this article today, as I came across many people over 30 years suffering from intentionally ingesting magic mushroom.
    But is there something in the chemical make up of this fungi that can help some people.
    Inverse: Magic mushrooms might rebalance the brain — study.
    Magic mushrooms might rebalance the brain — study

allelopath and Jeffrey Lebowe like this.
  2. Jeffrey Lebowe

Jeffrey Lebowe New Member

Like SSRI medications, Magic mushrooms (or more accurately Psilocybin/psilocin - the active compounds in the mushrooms) exert antagonistic function on several serotonin receptors, but unlike SSRI medications, which have to be taken consistently to produce the desired results (relief from depression, anxiety, etc) Psilocybin has been shown in several studies to elicit long-term relief for those suffering from depression, anxiety, PTSD, addictions, and a host of other mental health conditions with as little as ONE dose*

*these studies administered psilocybin to willing volunteers under controlled and therapeutic conditions

Look into it, Magic Mushrooms are the future of mental health care!

Acerholic likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Nature Vancouver is featuring a talk on Magic Mushrooms on April 15:
    [​IMG]A Natural & Cultural History of Magic Mushrooms in BC – Andy MacKinnon
    Thursday, April 15, 2021 @ 7:30 pm online
    Magic mushrooms have been employed in spiritual practices in Mexico and Central America for millennia. The visionary powers of these mushrooms first became known to the world in 1957, and in the early 1960’s they sparked a social and cultural “psychedelic revolution” soon dominated by LSD. The discovery that magic mushrooms grew commonly and abundantly in the Pacific Northwest and in British Columbia helped make Canada’s westernmost province a focal point of social change. Recent advances show promise for carefully monitored treatment of some psychological disorders, see for example Canadian Nurse July 2020 Magic mushrooms and the future of mental health care.
    This presentation will explore the natural history of BC’s magic mushrooms, and their role in the rapidly changing counter culture of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, and up to the present day.
    This presentation will be aired via Zoom Video Conferencing. On the Monday preceding the event, Nature Vancouver members will receive the Zoom link in the weekly e-News. Non-members are welcome and should Email denis@NatureVancouver.ca well in advance to register for the link.
    Latest Information

Frog and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Good morning Jeffrey, I will and thankyou for your very interesting and informative reply.
    Perhaps it's because I saw the bad side of people injesting these, that I am biased.
    Welcome to the forum btw. Always good to have a new member with new opinions.

Jeffrey Lebowe likes this.
  5. Acerholic

0330hrs in the morning here in England, too early even for me. But I'm sure others will post a brief synopsis of the meeting.

6. Acerholic