Madagascar Palm Tree ??????

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by crazy4ut, Jul 28, 2007.

1. crazy4ut

crazy4ut Member

I just bought an Ornamental Palm tree at a nursery on my way back from Florida. I was told it was from Madagascar and it needed direct sun and water everyday. I was also told it would survive winter in my house if placed in a sunny window. The tree is about 24" tall with a Grey trunk covered in thorns. The trunk is about 2.5" thick. The foliage is long slender single leaves growing from the crown. I would like as much information about this tree as possible. I'm not sure about winter care and if the current information about warm weather care is correct. PLEASE HELP ! Thanks, Jw

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like you have a Pachypodium lamerei, Madagascar Palm.

3. crazy4ut

crazy4ut Member

Thank You. Can anyone direct me to a web site on how to care for this tree. It is a little cramped in it's pot and I want to make sure I get the proper medium when I re plant. Thanks, Jw

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

www.pachypodium.org will have brief descriptions that will help you identify the particular species you have. "Madagascar Palm" is a trade name for at least two species of Pachypodium. It will likely be P. lamerei or P. geayi. P. lamerei typically has a wider, shorter, and medium-dark green leaves, whereas P. geayi has long, narrow, deep-dark green leaves, with a light felt-like texture to the undersides of the leaves. Both appear to be similar in their growth patterns and cultivation recommendations.

Keep the plant in a somewhat small container, as it tends to stimulate growth and fatten up the plant (desireable). Loose, grainy mix of large-grain sand, pumice, perlite, vermiculite, and/or bonsai soil works best...whatever you can find in your area. Avoid potting soils and anything that looks like it has a lot of organic material as it holds too much water and places the plant at risk for root rot...even if the bag is labeled "Cacti and Succulent Mix" (I never use the stuff). Full sun. Water when dry. Slow-release granular fertilizer.

Click onto the "Succulent and Caudiciform Culture Guide" in this forum. The Highland Succulents link, in my opinion, is the most informative and covers all the finer details of cultivation.

"Pachy's" are great plants and some species are highly sought after due to their thick, "fat-plant" appearance and beautiful flowers.