Madagascar Jasmin Plant-yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mona, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Hi,

I received a Jasmin plant some days ago and now I notice that a part of the base leaves are becoming yellowish and even one of the newest.
    The plant begins to open his flowers now.
    We have 24 Celsius degrees in the hause and the plant was not in the direct sun.
    I did not notice any insects or mycoses.

Does it need dayly spraying with water like Gardenias?
    Does anybody know a site with more info aboutÉ

Thank you!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Mona,

I have never grown Madagascar Jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda). Can't find much good info on the web either. Apparently they like warm humid conditions and do not tolerate direct sun. One site I read, recommended that the soil be allowed to dry more in winter. Maybe your soil is too wet? It was also mentioned that some yellowing of leaves is to be expected in winter.

Plants are often shocked when they move from the ideal conditions at the greenhouse to the harsher (drier) conditions of the home.

Bloom time is normally summer/fall. Are you in the northern hemisphere? If so the plant has been conditioned to bloom for winter sale.

I hope this helps a bit. You may want to do some internet searches on "Stephanotis floribunda". I skipped a lot of commercial sites.

3. S.S

S.S Member

I have dealt with Stephanotis several times and find they are best protected from the heat of summer's sun. They are also frost and cold sensitive. Well drained soil, regular fertilising and regular watering while growing, less through winter.

4. fishy_mama

fishy_mama Member

It does need to be treated like a gardenia. Most likely the yellowing is being caused by a lower humidity in your home compared to the greenhouse the plant is used to. Give your new plant a humidity tray.

5. jasminegardeners

jasminegardeners Member

I bought a madagascar jasmine (stephanotis floribunda) in June 2005, and it is now on e of our favourite house plants. It is wonderfully fragrant when flowering,which it is now beginning to do. I mist it once or twice a week, and have it right in a northwest facing window of our sunroom. South-central Ontario. I keep the soil moist during the spring & summer, drier during fall-winter. I do feed it using Miracle-Gro 6-12-6 houseplant food spikes. When I got it it was trained onto a plastic loop, but it has exploded with new growth, now having about 8 feet of new vines/shoots!! I wonder if I should trim these new shoots back to prevent it from getting too leggy??? Would it be possible to start new plants from cuttings??

6. floricanada

floricanada Member

Hi Mona,

I live in Montreal, Quebec and received this beautiful stephanotis over the Christmas Holidays, unfortunately two weeks later seems like all the leaves are drying up and turning yellow and falling off.

What did you do to cure your lovely plant.

Please help me.... I dont want to lose it!!!

Can anyone help me at this stage....

Thank you in advance for your help