Lupines & Magnola Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Miry, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Miry

Miry Member

I can't believe that I have Lupines again and I noticed that my Magnola Tree is flowering also. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved out of Fruit and Nut Trees area)

3. Miry

Miry Member

I don't see any response to the Magnola Tree and I have no idea how to find where you put the question? This web site needs to be more user friendly

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Miry,

Some magnolias tend to make a second flush of flowers, but not so showy as the main bloom. There are a few flowers on the top of a magnolia outside my office window here today. Also there are types of magnolia that bloom in the summer, rather than spring.

Some lupines bloom for a long season, especially if conditions are good.

The other thread was removed, better to keep only one thread, to avoid the confusion of two separate conversations.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Going by the leaves the magnolia is probably one of the Kosar and De Vos hybrids between lily and star magnolias - or one of the other named hybrid selections involving these two species. Summer production of underdeveloped flowers by numerous different spring blooming hybrid magnolias appears to have been inherited primarily from M. liliiflora, which has been much used as a parent.

Otherwise plant shown here is probably M. liliiflora itself, with its equally characteristic summer foliage mildew.

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    re: lupin - yes, it can rebloom, esp if you have trimmed, fed and watered it. I find that the 2nd flush of bloom is not anywhere near as showy as the first flush. Save the seeds and throw them around your flower beds - see what grows voluntarily.